Looking for a song with Roxanne in the lyrics.

HIWnumber1

Reaction score
But not by Sting/Police.

My wife was born in the 70s and her mother always told her she heard the name Roxanne in a song, not the Sting song, but she couldn't remember which one. She said she thought the lyrics "one day you're up, next day you're down" was in the song but lyric searches on that don't have Roxanne anywhere in the lyrics so it might have possibly been a different song.

My wife had pretty much given up on finding the song until the other day when her co-worker mentioned he heard the name in a nice song recently. He often listens to 70s and described it as a nice, easy listening song.

Not saying any of this information is completely accurate but it's all we really have to go on. My wife loves 60s and 70s music and has never heard it so I figured I'd ask the experts here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

HIWnumber1

Reaction score
I know the song you are talking about. I had it on a single record when I was a child (in the 70s). It predates the police song.

I have also been looking for this song and cannot find any details.

I am not sure who the artist was. My mother thinks it was in the charts in Australia in the 1970s and she bought the single.

A few lyrics I recall are Roxanne i’m Your man.

It also has lyrics about when she gets down she goes like a Hurricane.

SanFranFAN

Reaction score
The song you are looking for is called Roxanne from 1975. The artist is Peter Foldy and he had another rather big hit called Bondi Junction. These are on YOUTUBE! I created an account on here just now because I hope you see this post and play the tune for your mother! All the best...

HIWnumber1

Reaction score
The song I was referring to
is called Roxanne. My mum found the record. It was sung by Rockwell T James- recorded on Infinity at EMI studios Sydney on 33 - and released in 1976 by Sherbet Record Productions – it is an Australian recording produced by Garth Porter & Richard Lush.

It is on YouTube under
Rockwell T. James - "Roxanne".

Old School

Reaction score
But not by Sting/Police.

My wife was born in the 70s and her mother always told her she heard the name Roxanne in a song, not the Sting song, but she couldn't remember which one. She said she thought the lyrics "one day you're up, next day you're down" was in the song but lyric searches on that don't have Roxanne anywhere in the lyrics so it might have possibly been a different song.

My wife had pretty much given up on finding the song until the other day when her co-worker mentioned he heard the name in a nice song recently. He often listens to 70s and described it as a nice, easy listening song.

Not saying any of this information is completely accurate but it's all we really have to go on. My wife loves 60s and 70s music and has never heard it so I figured I'd ask the experts here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Does a song title count? Golden Earrings Roxanne, off the stupendously rocking Grab It For A Second album.

Acho

Reaction score
I have a Rock band, I could write a song (ballad or whatever genre you want) specifically about your situation, if you are interested.

Russell Sketchley

Reaction score
I remember this song from 1976. There was a girl named in my class called Roxanne, and I had a bit of a crush on her. I absolutely loved this song!

Some lyrics:

Sometimes it's magic, sometimes it's tragic

Roxanne, one day you're up, one day you're down

You're like a see-saw that's always in motion; how can one girl cause such a commotion?​

SanFranFan has it right - Peter Foldy was the artist. But according to Wikipedia 1976 was the release date (close enough). Is your mother Canadian? It was big here in Canada.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online