Live (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Live
liveagain.jpg

In the grunge/alternative era of the 90's there were accusations of one copycat band after another. There were very few bands that didn't get accused of ripping off another's sound. One band that I thought stood out while being successful in that era was Live. Though their debut Mental Jewelry was released in '91 alongside Nirvana's Nevermind they truly broke out in '94 with Throwing Copper. With those two albums behind them at this point, Live had a sound that was way more spiritual and enigmatic than any band out at the time.

While bands like Bush were making lyrical gibberish, Live was writing music that portrayed something deeper. While mostly dark and dreary, the c.d. also managed to have some very enlightening moments underneath it all. Ed Kowalczyks vocals were like rock sermons and were more apt to come out in a whisper or a wail than the typical mumble of the time.

As Live's catalog of albums grew, so did the light at the end of the tunnel in their music, as if the more they grew the more they figured out how to channel their spiritual energy. They became prophets of their own spiritual message rather than students. They went from the mourning of loss in Lightning Crashes into celebration of life as evidenced by Heaven in which Ed's child makes him believe their is a Heaven. This is a band that still puts out music today and really should have a better spot in the consciousness of music listeners than they have.

Standout Tracks:

Throwing Copper
live-throwing-copper-420x420.jpg

Lightning Crashes
(when a single so subdued and dark becomes a hit and reaches such a wide audience you know it's one of those rare classics)

Pillar of Davidson
(my favorite track off of Throwing Copper, very slow building but transcendent piece)

The Distance to Here
(my favorite album from them)
B00004RC8D.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Dolphins Cry
(gets me pumped)

Run To The Water
(my favorite Live song)

V
(most experimental album)
50ab5a1.jpg

Overcome
(so sad, moving and beautiful)

Any other fans here?

Oblivion

Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Live Thread

I enjoy a little Live music once in a while.. Depends on my mood. Clearly he has a great voice :)

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

Along with Smashing Pumpkins, Live is one of my favorite 90's bands that wasn't from the Grunge genre. I liked them as soon as I heard Mental Jewelry for the first time in late 91. Throwing Copper was huge, but their following albums didn't really have any radio hits and they ultimately slipped into obscurity. Secret Samadhi and Birds of Pray were both very good albums, and while The Distance to Here and V may have taken a little getting used to, they weren't too bad either. Overall though, lots and lots of great songs from all of their albums. And they are great in concert!!

From Mental Jewery, "Brothers Unaware"

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I only have "Throwing Copper", I played it twice and so far I really haven't gotten into the album yet, but I'll play it a couple more times before I decide what I think.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I almost started a thread on them..NO LIE!!

Love Throwing Copper when it came out!! I remember the band I was in at the time...the guitar player and I were up all night writing and the sun came up as we were still buzzed...Throwing Copper was on for the last couple hours.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Nice to see some love here and KMET, you are right about all their albums having great songs. I also saw them live! Great show although Ed needs to keep his shirt on! :lmao: MetalPriest, Great minds think alike! LG, keep listening! :grinthumb Now, Mental Jewelry and Secret Samahdi are albums I never latched onto but this Secret Samahdi song is another favorite of mine!

Turn My Head

Another great song was Tricky with Ed Kowaczyk contributing vocals!

Evolution Revolution Love

Oblivion

Reaction score

I have birds of prey and songs from black mountain
__eVWuPBRe2N6rosK_ke4TZd_ioGIIC81No7s6Bnim0L0=
live-album-birds.jpg

Oblivion

Reaction score

Not bad OB! I have those too but I advise backing up a little in their catalog! :grinthumb

* Mental Jewelry (1991)
* Throwing Copper (1994)
* Secret Samadhi (1997)
* The Distance to Here (1999)
* V (2001)
* Birds of Pray (2003)
* Songs from Black Mountain (2006)

All of them? :wtf:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads