Live better than studio

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I think I could make a case for almost the entire Strangers in the Night album songs being better than the studio releases RF, that is one of my all time fave live albums.

Last edited:

starman

Let The Children Lose It
Reaction score
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird

Rick Derringer - Beyond The Universe

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
I think I could make a case for almost the entire Strangers in the Night album songs being better than the studio releases RF, that is one of my all time fave live albums.
My thoughts exactly after reading your first post. I would dare say that the songs on Frampton Comes Alive also all sound better than their studio versions.

But what I was originally going to add to this discussion is U2's material from their 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' album played on their 'Elevation' tour dvd. "Beautiful Day", "Elevation", "Stuck in a Moment", "Walk On", "Kite", "In a Little While" and "New York" from the 2001 Elevation tour dvd are all far superior to their studio versions. In fact, the concert versions of those songs made listening to the cd easier for me. Go figure.

Reaction score
I think it is safe to say any punk band is better live than studio recordings

and

Springsteen

starman

Let The Children Lose It
Reaction score
I will have to disagree with this. Do not like any live version I've heard.

That's OK, you have the right to be wrong. :tongue:

Actually, and this is straight up from my perspective, I think it pretty much seems to boil down to how (in which context, live or studio) you first become acquainted with the song. It seems to me that if I first hear a song via the studio version, the live version sounds sloppy and greatly lacking in production. If I first hear the tune played live, the studio version seems tame and more so "flat" dynamically speaking.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Well, it's pretty safe to say that the Allman Brothers' "Whipping Post" on the Filmore East live album is FAR superior (and a good 20 minutes longer) than the studio version.

I would post a youtube video of the live recording... but the song's too long for a youtube video :heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Starman has a point, you can get used to whichever version of a song you listen to first and get familiar with, then you play either the studio or live track and it takes an adjustment.

For me Double Live Gonzo is the perfect example of Starman's posit, it was my first Nuge album, the vinyl copy and remains my favorite to this day. I have 5 of his studio CD's but the songs off Gonzo just have a better vibe for me.:rock:

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
I'm sure I could think of other examples, but the first thing that comes to mind is almost anything by the Grateful Dead. I prefer the live recordings of anything over their studio recordings.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Staff online

Members online