Live and Let Die versions: Paul McCartney vs Guns n' Roses

Which version of Live And Let Die do you prefer?

• Total voters

WetWilly

Whiskey Rock-A-Roller
Reaction score
McCartney & Wings hands down in my opinion. I do like G'n'R, But there's just no capering to the original..

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Paul McCartney and Wings.

I grew up with The Beatles and was listening to King Crimson's Starless and Bible Black, when Wings released their Bond theme. It seemed a bit strange somehow, although McCartney has said it is something he always wanted to write and perform. There are many good Bond themes, especially those by Don Black, but this is pretty good. The G'n'R version does not work to my way of thinking, because it is too heavy handed.

I remember seeing the film when it came out, following Diamonds Are Forever. Both are great, although not faithful to their respective book titles. Connery, Moore and Guy Hamilton could do no wrong in those days.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I agree. But in place of heavy handed I would say hackney handed. It is and should be a heavy song. But it shouldn't sound like a garage band doing it.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, Khor. Slash (and Duff McKagen) tries to come across as a rough and ready guitarist, when really he has a certain amount of finesse. The Live and Let Die cover is a bit like heavy rock versions of Knockin on Heaven's Door and other tracks, which seem like a good idea at the time, but are not! I'm not getting at G'n'R, I would credit them with giving hard rock a boost during the hateful eighties.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Oh yes! Compared to hairspray trannies playing pretend 'metal' GnR were a breath of fresh air. But Slash is the main reason I don't like their version. I mean, those near out of tune chirps he does on guitar in place of the orchestra parts are just awful. Some of his leads are truly cringeworthy. But compared to an 80s speed demon he's Jimmy freakin Page.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online