Linda Ronstadt (Offiicial Thread)

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Re: Linda Ronstadt

I've been a huge Ronstadt fan for many, many years. One of the things I always admired about her was how she would champion lesser-known (at the time) songwriters, like Mike Nesmith, Kate & Anna McGarrigle (with whom she was great friends) and Karla Bonoff.

She also had a knack for assembling groups of top-notch musicians like guitarist Waddy Wachtel.

I love all her albums, some a little more than others (I think I've probably heard enough of her standards albums with Nelson Riddle). But if I had to give up all of my LR albums but one, that one would have to be Hasten Down the Wind. In addition to introducing the country to Karla Bonoff's material, it was one of Ronstadt's more musically adventurous efforts. She really branched out on songs like the modulating-all-over-the-map "Down So Low," and the musicianship throughout was outstanding. I recall reading a review of the album in the old Stereo Review magazine, in which the critic said Wachtel's guitar solo in "Try Me Again" sounded like his guitar was strung with human nerve ganglia. I'd post it so you could hear for yourselves, but sadly, no one's put it on YT.

Fug

Reaction score

Linda's big commercial break came in 1974 with this album:

2980-1.jpg

Linda began to leave her country and folk roots behind and move to a more rock oriented formula. This album had the songs "Your're No Good", "When Will I Be Loved", and "Willin" (which was featured in the movie "The Abyss"). The title track off this album is simply beautiful.

"When Will I Be Loved". She does a fine cover of this Phil Everly song.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

RONSTADT+Linda+1977+SIMPLE+DREAMS.jpg

This was Linda's most successful album. She did two great Warren Zevon covers on this album. She also knocked Elvis Presley off the number 1 spot on the music charts with this album and was the only other artist besides the Beatles to have 2 songs from the same album be in the top 5 on the music charts at the same time, "Blue Bayou" and "It's So Easy".

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Me too, Eric. I like this whole album :tup:

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

Wasn't there a verse in Zevon's original version of PPPM that Linda chose not to include in her cover? That's what I seem to recall. Something about meeting a girl who asked him to beat her.

Of course Linda did the same thing in "Heart Like a Wheel," leaving out the verse about death. I guess she was a little too sunny for that kind of thing. ;)

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

I got a kick out of when Linda Ronstadt worked with some big band composers.
Like The Nelson Riddle Orchestra..

Last edited by a moderator:

kaientai

Reaction score

i was never a huge fan of Linda's but i respect her very much. In her heyday it felt like she was rescuing old classics and making them relevant again. Having said that, i guess always preferred my female rockers with a bit of edge, and i never felt i got that from Linda.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online