Lemmy tells fans NOT to buy the new Motorhead boxset

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com

Packaged in a skull with eyes that light up in red, the new 15-disc Motorhead collection certainly grabs your attention. So does the retail price — and that has prompted frontman Lemmy Kilmister to urge his fans to steer clear of the ‘Complete Early Years Box Set,’ now in stores.

“Unfortunately, greed once again rears its yapping head,” Kilmister said in reference to the sticker price, which is in the $600 range. “I would advise against it, even for the most rabid completists!”

The band members further distanced themselves from the project by releasing a statement that said Motorhead had “no control over what’s done with these early songs,” adding they “don’t want fans to think that the band is involved in putting out such a costly box set.”

Meanwhile, Motorhead’s tour in support of an album they’d like their fans to buy, 2011′s ‘The World Is Yours,’ continues tonight (Feb. 21) in Kent, Wash., and run through a Feb. 28 gig in Denver. Check out their complete itinerary here.

m3.png

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gotta love Lemmy being vocal enough to tell fans not to buy what appears to be a blatant rip off.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Not a big Motorhead fan, but that's a great stand to take when it comes to corporate greed and illustrates a point I make over and over again with fans when it comes to labels and their draconian contracts with artists including losing control of the songs the band wrote.

Motorhead is playing here in a few weeks, with Megadeth and some other good hard rockin'/metal bands.:hb:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Not a big Motorhead fan, but that's a great stand to take when it comes to corporate greed and illustrates a point I make over and over again with fans when it comes to labels and their draconian contracts with artists including losing control of the songs the band wrote.

Yep.. Sign on the dotted line and your music and all the memorabilia we can generate is no longer under your control.
Good for Lemmy and the band taking a stand and disclosing this..

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
It's amazing to me that this still goes on today.:nw:

Pink Floyd was more than just a unique band in many ways, they were seriously pissed off with EMI/Harvest their original label and when their contract came up they crafted a very smart new deal for themselves. EMI/Harvest maintained control of the bands old albums/songs/new releases in England/Europe and PF got to own everything new they released through Columbia Records in North America and the rest of the world.(Have to check on that to make sure.) Animals was the first record they released on both labels.

Ahead of their time in more ways than one.:bow:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
:clap:

Good for him!! That's awesome that he would be that honest. Now for me to stay clear of this. :peek

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Buy a pair of these instead MP...saw a pair for only $4,000 US.:D

imgOakley8.jpg

:oyea:

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
A 15-CD's box set of old back catalogue stuff should really go for around £90-£100 at the most ($150) So looks like you're going to be paying the other $450 for the plastic skull thing with the flashing eyes....this sort of thing has been done before, Kiss I know made countless millions with this sort of stuff, they had a whole industry churning it out, band action hero models, Kiss games and toys, make-up kits etc, I'm pretty sure I once saw a Gene Simmons teddy bear with a long bright red tongue sticking out of its mouth.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online