la_roux.jpg

Years active
2008–present

Members
Elly Jackson
Ben Langmaid

Albums
La Roux (2009)​

La Roux is a two person electro/synthpop band from London, England, fronted by Eleanor (Elly) Jackson. Their sound is highly inflenced by 80's synthpop (and it seems Elly's hair was influenced by Flock of Seagulls).

Her hair is actually where the name of the band originates. In her own words:

To me, it means "red-haired one" – and it does, vaguely. It's just a male version of "red-haired one", which I think is even cooler, because I'm well androgynous anyway. So it kind of makes sense.

Before relleasing their only album so far, La Roux, they released some singles in 2008. Elly had reported that they began writing for the second album but it may not be out for quite some time due to the limited time to work on it. They are scheduled to be performing at Lilith Fair and doing some other shows as well this year.

La Roux has some really wicked beats, there isn't much I don't like from them at all and I like Elly's style. I'm a big fan of the 80's so I liked them as soon as I heard them.

BULLETPROOF IS THE BOMB DIGGITY.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I heard Bulletproof on the radio and on rage. I actually thought it was from the 80's until I heard a review on Music Max. Definitely catchy, but not something I'd go out of my way to find.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I love the everything else thread because it gives me a contrast to what I normally hear and I need that. I'm a rock fan at heart most of all but it seems dance and beat based music has offered so many awesome artist in the past decade and still continues to get my ear today. I've gotten into so many great artist like M83, Jem, Sia, Imogen Heap, Lady Gaga and even bands like Mindless Self Indulgence offers a rock feel that just moves you at the same time and brings an element of fun as well.

Anyway, La Roux was a good listen and I liked Tigerlily the most! Such a weird sound to it and I really perked up at the sound of it! :grinthumb Her vocals style seems pretty versatile. At times she reminds me of Jem at times but at other times like Going In For The Kill her vocal style sounds completely different. Anyway, as a fan of this type of music I like it! :grinthumb

Grunge

Grotesque Perversion
Reaction score
HAHA. Friends of mine and I were making fun of "Bulletproof" for the longest time. It became an inside joke. Quote on quote from Shawn, "She looks like a Jimmy Neutron ****". When it comes to the retro 80s sound, yeah that is immediately what I hear in their music and see in their style. And they are good at it, taking old and bringing it back with a fresh twist to it.

F

FoxyPage

HAHA. Friends of mine and I were making fun of "Bulletproof" for the longest time. It became an inside joke. Quote on quote from Shawn, "She looks like a Jimmy Neutron ****". When it comes to the retro 80s sound, yeah that is immediately what I hear in their music and see in their style. And they are good at it, taking old and bringing it back with a fresh twist to it.

LMAO, when I heard it on the radio, I was picturing a really hot chick singing it and when I saw the video, I shit myself at what I saw. Elly looks good sometimes but she looked terrible in that video! The make up was the worst. I know they are trying to get that old school 80's look but they didn't have to make her look that ugly.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online