Kool & The Gang talks about opening for Van Halen

OzzyVanHalen

Reaction score
Kool & The Gang have been opening shows for Van Halen on their current tour, and the thought of the unlikely pairing of the 70s pop-funk icons with the kings of 70s high-energy hard rock took a little getting used to, according to KATG co-founder Robert “Kool” Bell.

It turns out, Bell says, the pairing was David Lee Roth's idea.

"He [Roth] saw our show in London last year for the big Glastonbury Festival and as they were putting together the Van Halen reunion tour, he went back to his camp and said, 'Hey, man, I'd like to have Kool & The Gang open up for us,' " Bell tells The Morning Call.

"They kind of felt it was a little strange in the beginning, but David kind of said, 'Hey, I think it'll work because in the '80s, Van Halen was sort of like the rock party band and Kool & The Gang was the pop funk party band. He said [Van Halen's] audience is 60 percent ladies – and of course, with 'Ladies Night,' we wrote a song for them. So it all came together."

Bell says he also learned that guitarist Eddie Van Halen and his band used to play Kool & The Gang's songs "Funky Stuff" and "Jungle Boogie" in clubs when they were on their way up.

"They were kind of into Kool & The Gang," Bell says with a laugh.

So far the combination has been a hit.

"The beer-drinking Van Halen [fans] at the tour the other night, they came in and by the time Kool & The Gang finished 'Ladies Night,' they were jumping up and down," Bell says with a laugh. "So they might have been hard-core fans in the beginning, but it's all kind of working out."

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Have to say that it is and was the way it was with Kool and The Gang and Van Halen being party groups back then.. Kool and the Gang are no slouches and they put out some great music other than what everybody heard on the radio's back then..
I had a party when Van Halens debut came out and I played that and Kool and the Gangs Wild And Peaceful album which had Funky Stuff Jungle Boogie and Hollywood swinger on it..
California Rockers were dancing to it..:heheh: :grinthumb

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Sounds like one hell of a party man! I know I once started a New Years Eve party with proper 70's Glam soundtrack, don't remember anything after T-Rex :heheh:

Fever

Reaction score
I am going to see Van Halen, but I will be skipping Kool and The Gang

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Agreed, makes a lot of sense, the 'Kools' are a seriously cool combo, this would actually make me more likely to buy a ticket, it's a pretty visionary idea by VH.

runtfan

Reaction score
I have tickets for this show in June and I'm looking forward to seeing both bands. I've never seen either one of them. Van Halen would have been a helluva lot more interesting to me thirty years ago but better late than never. Sounds like Van Halen's got a pretty cool setlist.

Fever

Reaction score
I first saw Van Halen way back in 1979-great show with Boston,Poco and The Outlaws.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online