Kenny Loggins / Loggins & Messina (Official Thread)

Mr. T

Reaction score

I was a bit shocked there was no thread for Kenny Loggins here. Between his work with Jim Messina and a 30 year solo career, he has a 40 year history of providing some of the the best pop music ever recorded. Sometimes melodic, sometimes upbeat, sometimes romantic, he has covered so many bases I'm not even sure where to start with this gentleman so I'll just post some of my favorites from the early days with Jim Messina and hope he gets a bit of love... he deserves it.

Loggins & Messina - Angry Eyes

Loggins & Messina - Your Mama Don't Dance

Loggins & Messina - Brighter Days

Loggins & Messina - Be Free

Mr. T

Reaction score
re: Kenny Loggins / Loggins & Messina (Official Thread)

Nightwatch was Kenny's second solo effort and holds some great tunez...

Easy Driver

Whenever I Call You Friend w/ Stevie Nicks

Wait A Little While

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Hey Tunez, glad you filled in an important spot with a spot for both artists. I've heard of Loggins and Messina but never the music itself. All three tracks had a different feeel to them and musically sounded like it had a higher level of musicianship and structure than Loggins solo material. I particularly liked the "Be Free" track as it had a Simon and Garfunkel feel to it IMO. Honestly I wished they harmonized throughout the whole track. I think Loggins solo is still more my style. I only knew his three biggest hits "Danger Zone", "Footloose" and "I'm Alright" which are deserving staples but now I know three more tracks thanks to you and I particularly like the Stevie Nicks collab. Can you tell me why you skipped spotlighting the first solo album? Was it not that great of a debut? :)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Leaving a bookmark in here for now, as from reading the OP and Soots's opinion, i'm interested to give it a chance. More for the fact that Soots found a bit of a Simon & Garfunkel sound to it, which I am a huge fan of their material.

I'll be back in here in the morning to check out the music, nice OP though.

Mr. T

Reaction score

Hey Tunez, glad you filled in an important spot with a spot for both artists. I've heard of Loggins and Messina but never the music itself. All three tracks had a different feeel to them and musically sounded like it had a higher level of musicianship and structure than Loggins solo material. I particularly liked the "Be Free" track as it had a Simon and Garfunkel feel to it IMO. Honestly I wished they harmonized throughout the whole track. I think Loggins solo is still more my style. I only knew his three biggest hits "Danger Zone", "Footloose" and "I'm Alright" which are deserving staples but now I know three more tracks thanks to you and I particularly like the Stevie Nicks collab. Can you tell me why you skipped spotlighting the first solo album? Was it not that great of a debut? :)

Honestly it wasn't that great of a debut IMO... he was finding his footing but the title track is a gem. :D

Celebrate Me Home

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

That was an impressive track Tunez! I hear him do a lot of high energy pop tunes and then some really stripped back songs but that one showed great vocal range and soul! :grinthumb

Mr. T

Reaction score

That was an impressive track Tunez! I hear him do a lot of high energy pop tunes and then some really stripped back songs but that one showed great vocal range and soul! :grinthumb

Some ppl even think the first is one of his finest... and I don't think it's horrible at all, I just prefer his work as he went along.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Some ppl even think it is one of his finest... and I don't think it's horrible at all, I just prefer his work as he went along.

Well in that case I'll be following along! I like the journey of delving deeper into an artist for the first time! :cheers2

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I've only got "Full Sail" and "Loggins & Messina's Greatest Hits", and that covers them enough for my needs.

Kenny Loggins solo material, I have a compilation of his best songs as well, but that's all.

This is hands down my favorite Loggins solo song.

Highway to the Dangerzone

For Loggins & Messina, "Vahevala" is my pick.

Reaction score

That one had a little bit of a Little Feat feel, LG^

Loggins and Messina are a bit hit and miss for me.. I haven't listened to many of their albums, but as I go along I usually find at least one track I like, on what I have heard..

My favorites, so far, being the Stevie Nicks collab that was already posted, and Danny's Song

My favorite of related material is Jim Messina's work in Poco

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online