Journey (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
With Steve Perry Fever?? Steve Miller is touring again that's a surprise.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
40 Years ago Journey First Concert

ultimateclassicrock.com
On December 31, 1973:

It’s impossible to predict the future, but it seems safe to say that no matter what happens this New Year’s Eve in the world of classic rock, it won’t measure up to Dec. 31, 1973, when future rock titans Journey and AC/DC both played their very first concerts on the same night.

The Journey lineup featured at this San Francisco, California show was very different from the pop-friendly version of the band that ruled arena rock in the ’80s. Keyboardist Jonathan Cain (who joined in 1980) and singer Steve Perry (1977) were nowhere to be found. Instead, attendees witnessed a progressive rock-leaning semi-supergroup led by former Santana members Neal Schon and Gregg Rolie. The lineup also featured Ross Valory and George Tickner from Frumious Bandersnatch, as well as drummer Prairie Prince.

Rolie sang lead vocals, but the primary focus was on the group’s instrumental prowess, which they displayed during a nine-song set at their hometown’s Winterland Arena. Highlights included a cover of the Beatles‘ ‘It’s All Too Much’ and several tracks (‘Mystery Mountain,’ ‘Topaz’) that would wind up on their 1975 self-titled debut album.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
I saw a real interesting show on PBS last night. It was a documentary/concert film about Journey's search for a new lead singer. It told how they found Arnel Pineda by seeing clips of him on youtube. It then showed his auditions for the band. It finished with a big concert in Manila. I never thought of myself as the biggest Journey fan, but after watching the show, I have a whole new respect and appreciation for them. The concert sequences were fantastic. I'm going to check out more of their music.

Fever

Reaction score
Journey has added 2 songs from the 2011 Eclipse album to their setlist-She's A Mystery and Ritual

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
The first and best with Perry includes material by Fleischman, such as Wheel in the Sky. The following Perry albums were good, but you could sense the decline, especially when Rolie and then Valory left the band. I liked Journey when there was still a trace of Santana.

This is my favourite Journey-with-Perry song, worth watching for Neal Schon's taste in fashion alone, although his playing is exactly as you would expect;

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Infinity was, by far, Journey's best album. Rollie was a great singer to have alongside Perry.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online