Jerry Lee Lewis (Official Thread)

Nora

Reaction score
JERRY LEE LEWIS

lewis-jerry-lee-1.jpg

Jerry Lee Lewis (born September 29, 1935) is an American singer-songwriter, musician, and pianist, who is often known by his nickname of The Killer and is often viewed as "Rock & Roll's first great wild man". An early pioneer of Rock & Roll music, in 1956 Lewis made his first recordings at Sun Records. "Crazy Arms" sold 300,000 copies in the South, but it was his 1957 hit "Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On" that shot Lewis to fame worldwide. Lewis followed this when he recorded songs such as "Great Balls of Fire", "Breathless" and "High School Confidential".

Lewis is widely hailed as one of the most influential - if not the most influential - pianists in the history of Rock & Roll. In an often quoted tribute, Elvis Presley once said that if he could play the piano like Lewis, he would quit singing. Lewis is primarily known for his "boogie woogie" style, which is characterized by a regular left hand bass figure and dancing beat, but his command of the instrument and highly individualistic style set him apart.

Lewis's pivotal role in popularizing the piano in Rock & Roll is indisputable. Up until his arrival, the music had been primarily associated with guitars, but his early Sun recordings and television appearances pushed the instrument to the forefront. Lewis was also an incendiary showman who often played with his fists, elbows, feet, and backside, sometimes climbing on top of the piano during gigs and even setting it on fire. Like Chuck Berry's guitar playing, Lewis's piano style has become synonymous with Rock and Roll, having influenced generations of piano players.

Discography

Jerry Lee Lewis (1958)
Jerry Lee's Greatest (1962)
Live at the Star Club, Hamburg (1964)
The Return of Rock (1965)
Country Songs for City Folks/All Country (1965)
Memphis Beat (1966)
Soul My Way (1967)
Another Place, Another Time (1968)
She Still Comes Around (1969)
Sings the Country Music Hall of Fame Hits, Vol. 1 (1969)
Sings the Country Music Hall of Fame Hits, Vol. 2 (1969)
The Golden Cream of the Country (1970)
She Even Woke Me Up to Say Goodbye (1970)
A Taste of Country (1970)
There Must Be More to Love Than This (1971)
Touching Home (1971)
Would You Take Another Chance on Me? (1971)
The Killer Rocks On (1972)
Who's Gonna Play This Old Piano? (1972)
The Session...Recorded in London with Great Artists (1973)
Sometimes a Memory Ain't Enough (1973)
Southern Roots: Back Home to Memphis (1973)
I-40 Country (1974)
Boogie Woogie Country Man (1975)
Odd Man In (1975)
Country Class (1976)
Country Memories (1977)
Jerry Lee Keeps Rockin' (1978)
Jerry Lee Lewis (Elektra album) (1979)
When Two Worlds Collide (1980)
Killer Country (1980)
I Am What I Am (1984)
Class of '55 (1986)
Young Blood(1995)
Last Man Standing (2006)
Mean Old Man (2010)
Rock and Roll Time (2014)

Songs & Videos

Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On

Great Balls of Fire

Who's Gonna Play This Old Piano

Crazy Arms

High School Confidential

Last edited:

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Lots of spirit and soul going here.A true trailblazer for many future acts,particularly the ones involved in the British invasion.I absolutely adore the old films of Jerry wailing away on his piano with great intensity and then hopping on top of it without losing his stride.Fitting of the genius label?Perhaps...............

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I was actually thinking of polling Jerry Lee against Elvis just to see how it would turn out but I think Elvis would get more votes but I have to say .....I love the shit out of Jerry Lee Lewis music. That guy can Honky Tonk a piano and there is a butt load of songs that don't get much radio time that deserve attention.
Jerry Lee is still alive but not sure if he's doing performances or not.
I have alot of his stuff and play it to death.. :bow:

rtbuck

Reaction score
I was actually thinking of polling Jerry Lee against Elvis just to see how it would turn out but I think Elvis would get more votes but I have to say .....I love the shit out of Jerry Lee Lewis music. That guy can Honky Tonk a piano and there is a butt load of songs that don't get much radio time that deserve attention.
Jerry Lee is still alive but not sure if he's doing performances or not.
I have alot of his stuff and play it to death.. :bow:

Yeah...I think Elvis would probably win that one & I do like Elvis Presley's Rock & Roll stuff but Jerry Lee was great! When you hear Jerry Lee's name naturally immediately you think of Great Balls of Fire or Whole lotta Shakin' which are both rockers & I still love hearing them but I also love his hits & takes on Breathless, High School Confidential, What I'd Say, Real Wild Child, Ubangi Stomp, & Ramblin' Rose(the same one MC5 opened with on their Kick out the Jams live album not the Nat King Cole tune)

E-Z

Reaction score
I have lots of Jerry Lee Lewis cds but as good as his country music is from the 1970s I mainly prefer his 1950s rock & music better.

E-Z

nedkelly

Reaction score
jerry-lee-lewis-liked-sex-drugs-and-rock-n-roll-before-it-was-cool.jpg

xjerry-lee-lewis.jpg.pagespeed.ic.acQ4tIvsuN.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online