Jazz-Rock/Jazz fusion recommendations

TrailriderDan

Reaction score
We always here music with so much blues influence, but how often do you hear rock with heavy jazz influence? Every time i hear rock with some jazz influence, it always sticks out to me.

P.S there is a difference between jazz and blues.

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score
Re: Jazz and blues

Could you give some examples of Jazz influenced songs? I can come up with thousands of songs with Blues influence but not many with a heavy Jazz influence. I am just curious since I really don't listen to Jazz and I am definately under educated in the music. If anyone else has ideas on this subject I would love to hear it. It may open up a whole new source of great music for me.

TrailriderDan

Reaction score

I really cant give you any specific examples because when I hear it, its usually some random song in some persons car or something like that.

runtfan

Reaction score

Some of the best examples are Steely Dan, Chicago, and Joni Mitchell for starters.
There's lots of other rock/pop artists that have at least dabbled in it...a song here, a song there.
Then, of course, there's the whole fusion genre that was really big in the 70's (primarily), which was usually some kind of mix of jazz,rock, R&B, and funk, varying from band to band.
There's also lots of different kinds of jazz, so all those different flavorings have turned up alot through the years.

Yesfan70

Reaction score

Add to Runtfan's list Blood Sweat & Tears.

As for the difference between jazz and blues, they are about as different as Muddy Waters and John Coltrane.:D

Reaction score

allman bros had very heavy blues and jazz in there music, some of there later stuff , post duane had some gospel and soul drivin it

yes had heavy jazz influence in their early days

ummmmm.................

doors obviuosly had a lot of blues and jazz influence

cant really thin kof any more now

billtjr51

Reaction score

allman bros had very heavy blues and jazz in there music, some of there later stuff , post duane had some gospel and soul drivin it

yes had heavy jazz influence in their early days

ummmmm.................

doors obviuosly had a lot of blues and jazz influence

cant really thin kof any more now

Yes maybe had some jazz influence, along with classical influence. I can't think of any Allman Bros though. Shawn Phillips definitely has jazz influence.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Frank Zappa's "Mothers of Invention" is heavily jazz influenced.

Herbie Hancock was also heavily jazz influenced.

Phil Collins, side project Brand X:

If you really want to find some rock with jazz influence google "jazz rock" or "jazz fushion" :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Spyro Gyra comes to mind instantly and some of Al Di Meola's solo albums in the 70's have that feel as well.

Sea Level and Jean Luc Ponty both have a heavy jazz influence on their music.

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score

Others may disagree, but I hear jazz influence in a lot of jam bands, Phish and Widespread Panic being two examples.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online