Janis Joplin RIP

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Re: R.I.P. Janis Joplin

There were a few years there where Rock stars were killing themselves. It was so sad to hear about Janis, Jimi, Jim and the others. Just think of the music they could have still made. The sixties was a unique time to live through with lots of good points but also plenty of bad.

:grinthumb

Emrock

Reaction score

It seemed that JJ was either at her best or worst when performing live. She had been drinking tequilla and vodka and snorting heroin before going on stage at Woodstock. It wasn't one of her best performances, but the crowd cheered anyhow. They didn't put it into the movie. Pearl personal life was a mess at the end. The only thing she had going for her was her music.

"Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse."
Ring Lardner

Did the counter-culture die or was it murdered?
http://www.TheWoodstockConspiracy.com
http://www.ClassicRockEsoterica.com

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Wooooo......

that counterculture conspiracy article is wicked. Does make you wonder about things.

Rocker440

Reaction score
I came across this story a couple days ago, and hope it's ok to put it here in this thread.

James Gurley, Guitarist in Big Brother, Dies at 69
articleInline.jpg

By BEN SISARIO
Published: December 25, 2009
James Gurley, who played guitar in Big Brother and the Holding Company, the psychedelic rock band that brought Janis Joplin to fame, died on Sunday at his home in Palm Desert, Calif. He was 69.

Wade Byars/The Desert Sun, via Associated Press
James Gurley in 2007.

The cause was a heart attack, said the band’s manager, Tim Murphy.

One of the central groups of San Francisco’s fertile mid-1960s rock scene, Big Brother and the Holding Company took blues-based songs on long, strange, electric trips that often featured Mr. Gurley’s protracted solos. In an interview in 2007 with The Desert Sun, in Palm Springs, Calif., Mr. Gurley said that his approach was inspired by the music of John Coltrane.

“I heard a lone saxophone raging like a madman,” he said. “And that’s what developed my style: Play it like crazy.”

The son of a Detroit stunt-car driver, Mr. Gurley moved to San Francisco in the early 1960s and became a staple of the music scene there. He joined his fellow guitarists Sam Andrew and Peter Albin to form Big Brother and the Holding Company in 1965. At the suggestion of the band’s manager, Chet Helms, Joplin joined as lead singer in June 1966 and the group quickly shot to fame.

After performing at the Monterey Pop Festival in June 1967, Big Brother was aggressively pursued by Clive Davis of Columbia Records. Following months of negotiations to extract the band from an earlier record contract, Columbia signed the group for about $250,000, according to Fredric Dannen’s book “Hit Men: Power Brokers and Fast Money Inside the Music Business” (Random House, 1990).

“Cheap Thrills,” the band’s first album for Columbia, went to No. 1 and became one of the biggest hits of 1968. The group’s single “Piece of My Heart” reached No. 12 on the Billboard pop chart.

But by the end of 1968 Joplin had left the group to embark on a solo career. Big Brother and the Holding Company recorded two albums without her before disbanding in 1972.

Joplin died of a heroin overdose in 1970. She was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995, without her former band.

“They invited us to come and play for the induction of her,” Mr. Gurley told The Desert Sun in 2007. “And we did it. My picture’s in there with her, but I’m not in the official list of inductees. That hurts.”

Mr. Gurley continued to play music after Big Brother’s breakup. He performed with a reunited version of the band from 1987 to 1997.

His survivors include his wife, Margaret, and two sons, Django and Hongo.

from here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/25/arts/music/25gurley.html?_r=1

:(

Last edited:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I've got Box Of Pearls by Janis and should pull it out again sometime but I agree with alot of other posters here and I REALLY have to be in the mood to listen to her work.

However Big Brother and the Holding Company is her highlight. Her voice was good but it was a lack of hooks which IMO, is needed in all forms of music.

Yet in the end she is an icon and an inpspiration to many female rock singers and artists that came after. She was far too young to go.

R.I.P. Janis!!!

Joplin2.jpg

Last edited:

starman

Let The Children Lose It
Reaction score
Couldn't stand her singing. Sang like a vacuum cleaner with lung trouble. Appeared very skanky. Just not my cup of tea at all. When it comes to female vocals I'm more of a Joni Mitchell, Grace Slick kind of guy.

iasc

Reaction score
She was one of my favorite female singers but I can understand why people wouldn't like her.
She did some great things and I love her music

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I don't know what it was about her, but I only like a few of her songs Mercedes Benz being my favorite. Have to give her credit for being a major force in her time though, that is beyond debate.:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online