James Brown Dead at 73

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
James Brown is my favourite soul singer of them all. He had an enormous influence on the development of rhythm & blues and rock music. Mick Jagger evidently picked up all his early stage moves watching James Brown at the filming of the T.A.M.I. Show of 1964 at which both James Brown and the Stones were performers.

Attachments

• james_brown1.jpg
    james_brown1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 39

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Old Thread I see..But now that MJ has died after JB.. It's sad to see that JB didn't get as much recognition for his musical accomplishments..

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
James Brown is my favourite soul singer of them all. He had an enormous influence on the development of rhythm & blues and rock music. Mick Jagger evidently picked up all his early stage moves watching James Brown at the filming of the T.A.M.I. Show of 1964 at which both James Brown and the Stones were performers.

He was a huge influence on Mick, and he learned from the best! :grinthumb

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
Holy crap. That's a huge loss. Godfather of Soul! He may have been a taskmaster with his bands over the years but they always cooked tight with James up front. He influenced quite a few musicians.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
He was a huge influence on Mick, and he learned from the best!

The Stones had to be cajoled into going on after James Brown because James made any act that followed look wooden!

Odysseus said:
He may have been a taskmaster with his bands over the years but they always cooked tight with James up front.

I've heard that James Brown used to fine his band members for every note they missed in concert or for having any wrinkles in their suits or unshined shoes!

:guitar:

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
I've heard that James Brown used to fine his band members for every note they missed in concert or for having any wrinkles in their suits or unshined shoes!

:guitar:

Playing in the JB's was considered boot camp for R&B players throughout his career. A stint in Brown's band looked great on a resume because it meant you you could play and conduct yourself in a professional manner. Frank Zappa said he instituted a fine system for his band (although not based on neatness of dress obviously) after hearing about Brown doing it. He said he knew if a musician bitched about the fines, he would be a problem down the road. Prince did the same later on.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Didn't Ray Charles fine his band mates for being late??? at least that was depicted in the movie..

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Did James Brown's body ever get buried? Last I heard, which was while the Anna Nicole ordeal was going on, was he was still in a morgue. Evidently there were fights over burial rights by family members.

:rip:

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
Did James Brown's body ever get buried? Last I heard, which was while the Anna Nicole ordeal was going on, was he was still in a morgue. Evidently there were fights over burial rights by family members.

:rip:

He is buried in a temporary site pending the construction of a mausoleum.

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
Didn't Ray Charles fine his band mates for being late??? at least that was depicted in the movie..

Yeah, lot's of Big Band leaders fined their players too. But Brown took it to another level. He even had a system of hand signals so he could notify his band members of their fines during a performance.:heheh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online