James Brown Dead at 73

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
Word just came over that The Godfather of Soul has died in Atlanta, of pnemonia. He was 73. Perosonal problems aside, what an amazing career. RIP James

Last edited:

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
What a loss. Wasn't an avid fan but always enjoyed what I heard from him. Ran a tight band with the "ONE" count and all - very cool stuff.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
He was one of the greatest of all time. The Godfather of Soul fully deserved to be in the first class of inductees of the R&R HOF. I am about to take "Percy Faith's Christmas" off the turntable and replace it with Papa's Got a Brand New Bag, I Got You, Cold Sweat, Sex Machine, Get Up Off that Thing, etc.

Spike

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
We've lost some great ones in December, haven't we...John Lennon, George Harrison, and now James Brown, on Christmas day, no less.

It sounds like hyperbole to say he virtually invented the R&B music of the late 20th century, but just about everyone agrees that to be the case. All I know is that when I first heard "I Got You (I Feel Good)" and "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag", it was like nothing I'd ever heard in my life (and yes, I heard them when they were new releases).

I truly loved a lot of his music. And nobody but nobody could scream like JB.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
What's Ford got to do with this thread (other than dying the same week as JB!)? Anyway, just to play with the question, I think Ford was probably one of the unrockingest political figures of his generation--and honestly, I mean that as a complement! His integrity of character (despite the total stupidity of his pardoning Nixon) has never been seriously questioned.

Not that you can't be a rocker and have character (witness Bono), but politicians these days seem to not have a clue what character is.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I concur, james was a consummate entertainer and he gave so many people some fond memories, I had the great fortune to see him live supporting the chillies and he had his cubans on, I wanna get into it man...like a....like a sex machine......what a guy!!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online