Italian Prog

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
I was introduced to Italian prog some years ago. Never heard of the music before that, but what a wealth of good music there is. Will not mention more of what I like before Aktivator mentions the third band.

Of the bands already mentioned these are absolutely classic!!

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Darwin!

BMS-Dar.jpg

Here's one from Darwin!:

Premiata Forneria Marconi - Per Un Amico

PFMPerUnAmico.jpg

Great idea and thread Aktivator!!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Nice thread Ak, I know about Goblin but that is the extent of my Italian prog/rock expertise. I'll be back when I have more time to go over the vids you posted.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
EF if you listen to those two albums you know who the third band is. :heheh:
Once Again this is from the Nearfest booklet this time 2008:

Within a short time Banco recorded the first Italian progressive rock album, "Darwin!" addressing controversial themes aroung human development and evolution. Vittorio,keyboardist, brought a bank of analog synthesizers into his keyboard arsenal for "Darwin" which is an utter delight of keyboard-based art rock compositions. DiGaicomo's powerful vocals and emotive delivery share the spotlight with the instrumental fireworks. His passionate singing carries the full emotional content of the lyrics, even for listeners who are not famiar with the Italian language:
Highlights:

La Conquista Della Posizione Eretta - Darwin - 1972

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Banco's next album "Io Sono Nato Libero (I am Born Free)" increased the compositional complexity, with more dissonant and angular themes among the grand orchestal symphonic rock. It addresses abstract philosophical and political concepts, focused loosely on the writings of Jean-Paul Sartre. With this album the guitarist was replaced with Rodolfo Maltese who still is with the band today.This album along with the past two make up three of the best ever Italian prog albums of all time.

La Città Sottile

Banco's next album "Come In Un'Ultima Cena (as in a Last Supper)"(1974)
featured shorter songs but maintains the same high level of composition and instrumental and vocal work as the big three albums. Proof is here in this song

II Ragno

Banco spent the mid and late 70's completing two instrumental albums sort of in a more fusion based vibe. Banco continued into the 80's but like many other prog bands of the time they abandoned the long suite format and fused in more rock based sounds. This included two songs that are still part of their live show "Moby Dick" and "Lontano Da"

Moby Dick

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
After a long break in the early 90's Banco rerecorded their first two classic albums with modern instrumentation and production released as "Da Qui Messere Si Domina La Valle". In 1994 a new live band was formed with the three core members plus 4 new younger members. With the new interest worldwide in Progressive music Banco was invited to perform at festivals in Japan, Mexico and Argentina. Several live records have been released since then and Banco is still performing around the world today. If they come to your area they are not to be missed.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
This brings us the third giant of the italian prog bands "Le Orme"
(once again most or this naration comes from NEARfest booklet this time NEARfest 05)

While I've listed "Le Orme" last they are actually the oldest band of the three. "Le Orme" started as a psychedelic "beat" band in 1966. As a five piece band Le Orme recorded their first album Ad Gloriam a collection of psychedelic songs and a similiar album "L'Aurora Delle Orme". These early efforts now sound dated with a delightful maivete and Aldo's(vocalist) instantly recognizable voice foretells the band's unique sound.

Mita Mita

Senti l'estate che Torna

Inspired by the progressive bands in England, Le Orme released their first prog album "Collage". This album established the band's signature sound of lyrical ballads alternating with driving rhythms, with the trio that would become Le Orme's classic lineup for many years. Virtuosic keyboards by Tony Pagliuca provided a sonic on slaught, anchored by the powerful drumming of Michi Dei Rossi, and soaring over it all, the melodious high, clear vocals of Aldo Tagliapietra, who also began playing bass. The title track opens with a "baroque" Hammond organ solo, then segues into harpsichord sounds, joined by a full orchestra. Rock rhythms in Cemento Armato (Reinforced Concrete) lead into an otherwise uncharacteristic funky jam.

Collage

Cemento Armato

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online