Imposters Pose as another Artist

The Styles

Reaction score

The Miriam Avenue, Bronx Styles 1961 Who Pose as our group The Styles who recorded on Josie Records 1964
The Imposters: Giochino Vero (AKA Jack Vero, Joseph R. Vero & Padgett A. Vero
To the vocal group known as The Styles, who were originally from Miriam Avenue in the Bronx, who recorded "Scarlet Angel" for Serene Records #1501 in 1961, Family members and friends of the group, most notably Giochino Vero (AKA Jack Vero, Joseph R. Vero & Padgett A. Vero.
On page 543 of the publication known as “Encyclopedia of Rhythm and Blues and Doo Wop Vocal Groups, by Mitch Rosalsky (Scarecrow Press, Lanham, MD 2002) your vocal group known as “The Styles” (from the Bronx) who recorded “Scarlet Angel” on Serene Records 1961 Catalog #1501did knowingly provide Mr. Rosalsky with a misleading description of fact and false representation of facts as when asked if your vocal group was in fact the same “Styles” who recorded “School Bells To Chapel Bells” / “I Love You For Sentimental Reasons” on Josie Records 1964 Catalog #920, your group did claim to be that same group which constitutes false information that is now in print and therefore infringes on our group by your taking credit for a recording you did not record.
This misrepresentation was also committed on the 1996 CD Recording “Jubilee & Josie R&B Vocal Groups Volume 5” under license from EMI Records LTD to Sequel Records (UK) where as when interviewed for the CD liner notes, someone in your group insisted they were the true artists responsible for the Josie recordings and that he (the person interviewed) was the actual the lead singer of said recordings. These actions taken by you and your group are a disgrace to the music industry and constitute a Class A Misdemeanor. The facts noted above are in writing in both the book and CD liner notes as noted above. The Styles (from NYC’s Lower East Side) who recorded for Josie Records in 1964 reserve the right to pursue Legal proceedings to remedy the misrepresentations made by the group and persons noted above.
Although we are flattered that the “Bronx version of The Styles” thought enough of our music and vocal style to claim to be us, they in fact lied. If one would listen to both their original recording of “Scarlet Angel” in 1961 and then the 1964 Josie #920 releases, one would clearly realize by virtue of performance, “the 1961 Styles” could not have been either the group or lead vocalist on the Josie #920 recordings of “School Bells To Chapel Bells” / “I Love You For Sentimental Reasons”.
Quoted exactly as written from the 1996 CD compilation “Jubilee & Josie R&B Vocal Groups Volume 5”
The Styles
The Styles formed in 1958 on Miriam Avenue in the New York City borough of the Bronx. The group consisted of its founder Louis Pesce (lead, first tenor), his cousin Jack Vero (lead, Harold Epstien (second tenor), Harvey Ledo (baritone), and Arnold Abbot (bass). They called themselves the Styles because Louis always came to rehearsals directly from his job dressed in a sharp and stylish suit. Prior to their lone Josie recording, they sang “Scarlet Angel” / “Gotta Go Go Go” (Serene 1501) in 1961.
The Styles recorded “I Love You For Sentimental Reasons” / “School Bells To Chapel Bells” for Vinnie Catalano and Pete Alonso productions who in turn sold the masters to Josie Records. Unfortunately, when Josie released their record (Josie 920) on March 24, 1964, the Styles and other similar vocal groups were no longer in “Style”. Therefore, the record did not receive much airplay or prompt noticeable sales. Both sides are still a welcome addition to this CD. Their up-tempo and boisterous interpretation of “I Love You For Sentimental Reasons” is certainly different than Deek Watson’s original with the Brown Dots (Manor 1009) from 1945 or follow-ups by the Rivileers (Baton 207) and Cleftones (Gee 1067) from 1954 and 1961 respectfully. Its flip side “School Bells To Chapel Bells” is a nice ballad with the five youngsters in the Styles sounding quite like a black vocal group from the 1950’s.

The True Artists who recorded the Josie release #920 in 1964
The styles who recorded both “School Bells To Chapel Bells” and “I Love You For Sentimental Reasons” for Josie Records in 1964 (#920) did not originate in the Bronx. They were a mixed vocal group of five teens hailing for the Lower East Side of New York City. The group consisted of Orvin Baptiste, Richard Pettignano, Ruben Mangual, George West and Gene Serina. The group first recorded in 1963 under the name The Vels for Amy Records “Do The Walk” / In Laws” (#881). See more about The Styles of 1964 who did record the Josie recordings noted above The Styles

creole127

Banned
Reaction score
First and foremost I must say Orvin Baptiste R.I.P. is the only and original singer of "School Bells To Chapel Bells" recorded by The Styles from the Lower East Side of Manhattan. Our vocal group at that time was The Chryslers, also from the Lower East Side and we performed at many venues (schools, Boys Clubs, etc.) where the Vels (in 1964 named the Styles) also performed. This is a short reply as I have much more to add to contradict these imposters from the Bronx whose vocal sound doesn't even come close to the Original Styles from the Lower East Side. More information to follow:

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Wow, seems like a legal action that should be filed In a court of law not in a music thread but what do I know :heheh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online