I really miss the record stores!

Blue Collar Man

Reaction score
I used to love going into record stores or any department store that had a vinyl section. I could go through those albums for hours. When I was a kid, I would head straight to one of those places when I got some money and buy an album. I like cd's and have plenty of them. But there is just something great about lp's. I still have a lot of mine from back in the day and they will always be special.
Anybody feel that way?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Yes I feel exactly the same BCM...:( I had a similar routine every week or so I would hit all my favorite record shops, especially the one in our HUB mall, they had a massive selection of hard to get imports and audiophile pressings along with the regular labels. I buy from a couple of great online stores now, but it's not the same.

I intend on collecting some prized old vinyl soon to replace the ones I lost years ago that just sound better than the CD's they've done.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
The independent record stores still going can't compete with the internet so they just put the prices up and see if they can still sell the gear.

I wrote about a recent experience in London in the "what did you buy recently thread" I think. Too expensive, not enough choice. When HMV offers the most in back catalogue [I collect it almost exclusively now] you know there are serious problems.

Blue Collar Man

Reaction score
I still buy an album from time to time. I sometimes use ebay and I have another online source that is great. There is an antique place here in town that has a lot of albums. I recently bought a few from there.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
HMV is the only chain left here now...and their prices to get what I want imported are outrageous...:wtf: I use a store in California or the bands homepages to order my imports now.

Yes e-bay will be getting a lot of business from me come spring...about 50 old albums I want on vinyl again.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Another thing, I need artists being labelled.

Nolo will know this, if it's still going, but a little while back Sound Machine in Reading did away with their labels for their LP section. I really cannot be arsed to trawl through rows and rows of records to find something I want.

I imagine that sounds abhorrent to many on here, but I know what I'm looking for and want to be able to move from artist to artist rather than wade through thousands of LPs.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That's just plain ridiculous,,,but many second hand shops here just have the LP's sorted alphabetically now too. I will just ask the owner if I want a particular album usually they know where it is or if they have one.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree here. I love the very few record stores here like Landspeed records, we used to have Impact records too but that one got shut years ago. :(
I do like to go to major outlets like JB Hi Fi as they do have cheaper stuff there but most of the time I like to visit a good record store like Landspeed who have the albums and bands I can't find elsewhere.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
Agree with you on that Powerage. You're looking for The Turtles (for example) and you have to slog through four rows of albums labeled "T". That can be a real drag if you're in a hurry or you know exactly what you want. I will admit that sometimes if you do this you do stumble across something cool that you weren't looking for but glad you found.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
I miss it. Sam Goody was big around here. It was so much fun browsing that store. They were bought out by FYE but there may be a few stores still using Sam Goody. Not around here though.

Sam_Goody_Nashville.jpg

This could be any one of us, huh?

hegewisch_records_1985.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Members online