Happy Birthday, Rolling Stones (7/12/62)!

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score
It was this day in 1962 that the Stones played their first gig.

It was at the Marquee Club in London. Bill and Charlie had yet to join the band, but it was Mick, Keith, & Brian's first gig together as the Stones (with Tony Chapman on drums and Dick Taylor on bass).

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Re: Happy Birthday, Rolling Stones!

Be prepared for a storm of Stones' fiftieth anniversary books hitting the shelves next year commemorating the first rehearsals together of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Dick Taylor. While these will be jumping the gun, it's better to be early than late in the publishing business.

And I still think the Stones will be launching a "Fiftieth Anniverary" world tour commencing later in 2011. A new album from the boys is also long overdue. How I long for the days when they used to issue up to three LPs per year.

Incidentally, Tony Chapman decided to leave the Stones shortly thereafter because he wasn't comfortable with their wild lifestyle and frantic approach to their R & B based music. He left to form a band called the Preachers, which include a very young Peter Frampton.

:D

Drifter

Reaction score

And I still think the Stones will be launching a "Fiftieth Anniverary" world tour commencing later in 2011. A new album from the boys is also long overdue. How I long for the days when they used to issue up to three LPs per year.:D

I wonder who is going to be in the band besides Mick and Keith if they do decide to tour next year? Charlie has indicated he's through with long tours and Woody's status seems to be in limbo. There's been some rumors that Mick Taylor will be brought back into the fold but apparently he has health issues going on.

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score

...Incidentally, Tony Chapman decided to leave the Stones shortly thereafter because he wasn't comfortable with their wild lifestyle and frantic approach to their R & B based music. He left to form a band called the Preachers, which include a very young Peter Frampton.

That's interesting Foxhound, I had never heard that. Frampton must have been very young indeed - I think he was in a band called Herd before forming Humble Pie with Steve Marriott, and he was till fairly young then.

And of course the Stones' original bass player, Dick Taylor, went on to co-found The Pretty Things (another excellent band).

I wonder who is going to be in the band besides Mick and Keith if they do decide to tour next year? Charlie has indicated he's through with long tours and Woody's status seems to be in limbo. There's been some rumors that Mick Taylor will be brought back into the fold but apparently he has health issues going on.

Mick very recently said that there is a strong chance of a tour next year. There have been rumors about Woody's status with the band due to his tenure with the band listed as "1976-2010", instead of "1976 -present", on their official website, but "2010" has been changed to 'present', so apparently he is still with them. Mick Taylor did recently cancel his solo tour due to some serious health problems, here's wishing him a speedy and full recovery.

Who knows what the future holds for the Stones. I for one am amazed that they're still rolling. Apparently arthritis is taking its toll on Keith's playing, so I wouldn't be surprised if they call it quits when they hit the 50 year mark.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

FretBuzz said:
Frampton must have been very young indeed - I think he was in a band called Herd before forming Humble Pie with Steve Marriott, and he was till fairly young then.

Tony Chapman was also a member of Herd. They've had a long history together.

Here's hoping though that Charlie Watts can be persuaded to do one more tour for their fiftieth anniversary. It just would not be the Stones without Mick, Keith and Charlie. Twould be nice if they could also lure Bill Wyman out of retirement - but he resigned from the Stones prior to their 1994 worldwide jaunt because he'd had enough of mega tours.

The problem with Ronnie is his fondness for drink - and Mick understandably won't tolerate anything that gets in the way of functioning as a member of the Rolling Stones. If Ron is replaced, it would have to be with an old Brit with existing stature in his own right. Jeff Beck is the most logical candidate. He evidently opted to continue working as a solo artist when he could have joined the Stones in 1984.

But Jeff has a rather well deserved reputation for being mercurial in temperament. Two things though. He's mellowed over the years and has contributed his guitar playing to the projects of a long list of big name artists since his days as a brilliant but brooding and troublesome young guitarist. Secondly, you would think that any guitarist would love to try his hand at getting up there with the Stones for one tour anyway and playing all those classic hits from "Satisfaction" on down that the Stones have recorded over the years. And given the age of all concerned, it wouldn't be for any longer than just one tour and maybe an album or two.

:dunno:

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online