Happy Australia Day!

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
australian-flag-reduced.jpg

G'day everyone, just like to give a big shout out to the Aussies on Australia Day, a day to celebrate the achievements of the Australian community.

Of course, special mention needs to be made here to those poor souls who have been affected by the horrible flooding in the Eastern states. I certainly wish them all the best, and my thoughts are with them today.

Also, I think a special Australia Day mention is needed to the many people who have given up their time to head to affected areas such as Brisbane and assist in the clean-up process. It's a showing of what the Aussie spirit really is, everyone looking out for one another.

So, here's an intellectual gem with an Australian twist to take us out on Australia Day :D

Also, on a very serious note, I'd like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the Australian continent, the Indigenous community. This day marks the day that white man took over their land and began centuries of mistreatment of the Indigenous population. As much as I'm only one man, on behalf of the Australian population past and present, I would like to say Sorry for the atrocities that the Indigenous people have suffered.

ab.gif

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Hope all Aussies here are enjoying Australia Day. I am at my parents' place and both the Aussie and Aboriginal flags are flying. That was a great post Feldy :)

Great Southern Land

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
All the best to you Ladies and Bruce's from this Pom. Hope the Floods are sorted soon.:cheers2

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Sending all my love to my Aussie friends. Here is a shout out to the Aussie Helpers, led by Brian and Nerida Egan, a non-profit charity that has have given so much to aiding the farmers who have been stricken by the drought and floods...
Aussie Helpers Home

and to their biggest supporter, the country rock band Prairie Oysters Australia, who have given dozens of free concerts for farmers stricken by drought and floods, as well as various charity fundraisers.
Prairie Oysters Aussie Helpers page Aussie Helpers

Kudos to all!

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Many people celebrate it with a piss up and a BBQ, but there's no real tradition and people can celebrate it however they choose to. I'm going to continue my own celebration by getting back to watching the cricket and drinking my beer :cheers2

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
So how does one celebrate Aussie day?

Various ways. BBQs are quite common (shrimps less so), beer is also common-place :tongue: Triple J (a radio station) run their Hottest 100 on Australia Day and that becomes a tradition for some. As Sal mentioned, cricket is on which occupies many peoples time.

There are "Australian of the Year" awards announced about this time, but basically it's a day off for most people, sort of a day to be patriotic :heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
australian_coat_of_arms.png

I will play Little River Band, then some Midnight Oil and end with ACDC after dinner tonight. I will BBQ some hamburgers and pretend I am basking in the sunshine of the Barossa Valley.

Nice post Feldy, and I send my best wishes to those who have been devastated by the floods.

coat-of-arms.jpg

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
A HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY TO ALL THE MATES AND LASSES HERE!!! I'm celebrating it in the EU this time (for work) with my colleagues at International House:):)
I hope you all got the barbies firing and the snags rolling:):)

aussieday.jpg

By blackglove at 2011-01-26
ozgirls.jpg

37214437.png

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip