Guitar players?

John Black

Banned
Reaction score
I play guitar (acoustic,electro-acoustic,electric) for about 15 years. I play the bass guitar also and a bit of drums. If there are begginers here who would like to start playing guitar, or to purchase a new guitar, I will gladly help with info. You can also check my homepage for guitar reviews. Cheers guys!

Romulus

Reaction score
I used to play both acoustic and electric guitar. Also composed my own songs when I was a teenager.

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
I've been playing guitar for roughly 7ish years.

I just recently got a bass within the last year and have been practicing that for the most part lately.

I never realized how different your hand positions are on a guitar compared to the bass guitar. When I pick up my guitar now, the neck feels so small compared to the neck of a bass.

I'm a left handed player as well. Always a pain to find good used guitars for a good price when your a darn southpaw!

Metal Health

Reaction score
I've been playing guitar for roughly 7ish years.

I just recently got a bass within the last year and have been practicing that for the most part lately.

I never realized how different your hand positions are on a guitar compared to the bass guitar. When I pick up my guitar now, the neck feels so small compared to the neck of a bass.

I'm a left handed player as well. Always a pain to find good used guitars for a good price when your a darn southpaw!

I just picked up the bass too. Love playing and I actually play that more than guitar some days. :)

CurtRHCP

Reaction score
When I was 16-17, a friend borrowed me a bass.
It was so painful, not easy to figure out the finger position, I was able to play "Pea" of the Chili Peppers, a really easy song...

I personally think bass is harder to play than guitar ^^

treborillusion

Reaction score
My sister moved to USA in 2000 when I was 13 leaving behind her guitars.
I fooled around with her Yamaha acoustic and then her Kay (Japanese electric guitar)...
Then in 2001 on my father's 62nd birthday when I was 14, I sat up all night in my room with that Kay and Guns N' Roses concerts on VHS and it was then when I decided what I wanted to do with my life; I dropped a lot of other things; Art, Basketball, even a brief interest into Photography, HTML Web-Designing, Philosophising (I got as far as René Descartes Cogito Ergo Sum) and Screenplay Writing, to play Guitar that night.
First things I bought were like a year down the line from when my sister left those guitars behind, I started buying things, I bought; picks, guitar strings, my first nylon strap and my guitar slider (I think the one I still use today)!.. But I also remember buying my first guitar the same week I bought my second guitar in March 2001.
I technically started designing my own guitars in 2003 when I was 16 when I had Jim Dunlop Strap-Lock System installed with a huge leather strap for £40.00 out of my very first paycheck (actually).. I had that first put on to my first guitar I bought (since it was the only electric working)...
At one point (in 2011) I had at least this many guitars with various guitar parts of notability.
1426344_661061487277483_314524655_n_zpswkeg4w2b.jpg
(No pictured was my 12 string acoustic I had that I loaned out).

Truth is, I bought that 1960's Framus Hollywood when I was 14 for £30.00 because it was a dilapidated piece of firewood that was robbed of a lot of its original parts and it aftermarket stuff put on (like extra humbucker to it's already 2 P90 Framus pickups, a selector switch like that off a Strat loaded onto a wooden scratch plate and this guitar was originally gold but someone painted it brown... I found out when I was 20 what guitar it was... When I had it fixed/made playable with all the pickups it had on when I bought it; for my 21st birthday gift to myself I had that guitar finished! and is the guitar it is today; 1960's Framus Hollywood Custom. - When I first saw that guitar the day I bought it... I knew what I wanted to do; I wanted to turn this Les Paul shaped body, Into a Gibson Les Paul (because I liked it's LP body shape).. I just figured I'd be 80 by the time I finished; WRONG! - I was in fact 21... This................... left a void, so that's why I bought a bunch of guitars and designed them to try stuff like bridges and pickups and switches and kill switches and pots and active and passive and battery boxes and tuners etc... a lot (I am leaving stuff out just because it's long)... I pretty much wanted to turn guitars into a Gibson Les Paul.

That all stopped the day I was afforded to buy my Gibson Les Paul!
So I went from being the guy who had guitar projects going in and out to being the guy with the 1996 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard Red Sparkle Top Dark Back that THE ONLY THING I HAD DONE was have a set of the Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico Pickups installed... THAT WAS IT; I bought it used for £1, 989.95 or something... and... It was reduced from £2, 800 from Vintage Rare Guitars on Denmark Street Soho (I love Denmark Street, have bought guitars and amps and stuff all over there including my Gibson Les Paul)!.. A previous owner even had the same Jim Dunlop Strap-Lock System strap buttons installed into this guitar!.. (It was love at first play but it having my preference in strap lock systems... (Amazing coincidence)!.. I hated; how this guitar looked (as seen in that 2011 photo I almost broke my neck orchestrating)... With the Gibson Zebrahead pickups, I thought 'too much going on; Red, Gold (hardware) Zebrahead pickups.... But it wasn't about how this guitar looked, to me (because it was an ugly Gibson Les Paul despite it having my favourite of all Gibson Les Paul headstocks! - I just hated how the rest of the guitar looked... But I loved how this one Gibson Les Paul played (even before I had the money) (I knew what I'd buy if I could) (and I did).. - Putting the pickups I like in with an all black finish actually made my guitar beautiful! I loved it anyway but now it looks so sexy; I think, stock, there was TOO MUCH going on for the eye; take out the Zebrahead humbucker look and viola.

When I bought it.
001_zpssvworhhb.jpg
002_zpsq2xyjd81.jpg

This is it today.
030_zpsqgr0job0.jpg

I took a break from 2011 - 2014/2015 from designing my guitars, and from 2008 - 2011 I was all about modding broken guitars.

(For my own amusement, I put a tougher gauge of guitar string on this 1960s Framus Custom and play System of a Down on it); just for my own amusement, it's tuned into Dropped C.

Last edited:

treborillusion

Reaction score
Last Saturday after work I bought myself a used 1999 American Fender Deluxe Stratocaster from Wunjo Guitars on Denmark Street in Soho, London for £875.00

022.thumb.JPG.62211a833105309544c9ec328a96acec.JPG

023.thumb.JPG.39b75a2810cbade765694ce708bd7eb1.JPG

027.thumb.JPG.18e96821a04e659bb74747ab205f5fbf.JPG

I essentially bought this guitar because it looks so beautiful, a lot like this first guitar I ever bought when I was 14 for £130.00 brand new; only it's got a blonde neck with pearl inlays that reflect green in the right light (way cool) and is an American Fender Deluxe Stratocaster... I like Les Paul body shapes and Stratocaster shapes the best, and this guitar is cool.

I haven't seen a Fender Stratocaster with the same colour/finish as my first guitar since I was 15!.. and now I own one. Teal (or aqua) with a transparent finish.

My first guitar I ever bought;
_c612477_image_0.JPG

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online