Greetings from an aspiring music snob

tvc15

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm Chris and i joined the forum so that i could chat it up with fellow rock aficionados and hopefully learn alot and improve my knowledge and appreciation for music.

My favorite artist is Bowie and i especially respect that run of 7 art-rock albums (Station to Station, The Idiot, Low, Lust For Life, Heroes, Lodger, Scary Monsters) that he had a hand in from 75-80. Listening to him has opened up a vast web of diverse musical avenues that not any artist could lead to. Thus i've also been listening to artists like Brian Eno, Scott Walker, Roxy Music, The Velvet Underground, Joy Division, Iggy Pop, Talking Heads, Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, Massive Attack, and a few others.

What i would like to do is to build an understanding of the earliest examples of art/progressive/experimental/left field rock and progressively listen decade by decade and see how it all grew and led to different sub-genres and what not, and i'd really appreciate if maybe you guys could help me guide a pathway of things to listen to. I guess i really like to learn about space, texture, and structure in music, and how messing with all that led to albums like Another Green World and Remain in Light and how that led to Ok Computer, LCD Soundsystem, or what have you, etc. I want to see (or listen) to innovative evolution through the years i guess.

Random Tid Bit: This past week i've been kind of obsessed with my revisiting of Interpol's Turn on the Bright Lights.

Cheers :D

Last edited:

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm Chris and i joined the forum so that i could chat it up with fellow rock aficionados and hopefully learn alot and improve my knowledge and appreciation for music.

My favorite artist is Bowie and i especially respect that run of 7 art-rock albums (Station to Station, The Idiot, Low, Lust For Life, Heroes, Lodger, Scary Monsters) that he had a hand in from 75-80. Listening to him has opened up a vast web of diverse musical avenues that not any artist could lead to. Thus i've also been listening to artists like Brian Eno, Scott Walker, Roxy Music, The Velvet Underground, Joy Division, Iggy Pop, Talking Heads, Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, Massive Attack, and a few others.

What i would like to do is to build an understanding of the earliest examples of art/progressive/experimental/left field rock and progressively listen decade by decade and see how it all grew and led to different sub-genres and what not, and i'd really appreciate if maybe you guys could help me guide a pathway of things to listen to. I guess i really like to learn about space, texture, and structure in music, and how messing with all that led to albums like Another Green World and Remain in Light and how that led to Ok Computer, LCD Soundsystem, or what have you, etc. I want to see (or listen) to innovative evolution through the years i guess.

Random Tid Bit: This past week i've been kind of obsessed with my revisiting of Interpol's Turn on the Bright Lights.

Cheers :D

hello and welcome to the forum @tvc15 sounds to me like your going to fit right in here...you`ll have a BALL...:grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Members online