Grand Funk Railroad (Official Thread)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: 40 years of great Funk!

That is pretty harsh!!

I dont think GFR is even close to Michael Jackson for a comparison. But iffin you think so, so be it :)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with teeny boppers listening to music, and I happen to think they had a much wider fan base than that. Heck I was a teenybopper then myself, and just LOVED funk music, and still like it.

:cheers:

zoose

Reaction score

tut tut woman ya slanders me unfairly I say

I said I love Terry Knight
and GFR was like really cool Dudes let's get it on cha cha cha

I got that glow plug installed in my hand at Farner's request
I walked around in the crowd grabbing teenyboppers by the butt to make them scream louder
it left a brand that said Todd Rundgren is God

I could unscrew and replace them - had a whole set

one time I grabbed Merv Griffin's butt
it left a brand that said Todd Rundgren Slept Here

you can ban me now :rolleyes:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

How did ole Griff's buns feel? could it crack walnuts LOL

Todd Rundgren, interesting! I take it your a fan?

Hello It's Me seems to be a fitting song for your branding endeavors :)

and my dedication to you for slandering you:

Can We Still Be Friends

billtjr51

Reaction score

I liked GFR when I was about 15 and 16. I still think they were a good group, but I thought they appealed more to the younger crowd. Not totally, but generally. After I saw Black Sabbath in 71, then Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, etc, I kind of left GFR behind.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

When I think of GFR, I think of "Locomotion" and "Some Kind of Wonderful", and that brings back memories of about age 14-16 and the skating rink.

I didn't actually appreciate their music for anything other than the fun it brought during that era of my life, funk music was just plain fun. It still is a lot of fun to listen to. :)

speaking of "Some Kind of Wonderful".........everyone associates this song with GFR, but it was actually a cover song originally done by an R & B group called Soul Brothers Six and recorded back in 1967.

runtfan

Reaction score

It never occurred to me that GFR could be considered a "teeny bopper" band. I got into them when I was about 12 or 13 (1975 0r '76). Even though they cleaned up their sound and image between their first few years and their last few, I always thought they were a exceptional hard rock/R&B-influenced/bluesy boogie band...very heavy but not heavy metal and very accessible but certainly not "teeny bopper".

Kino

#1 Styx Fan
Reaction score

These guys are great! 40 years is a hell of a long time.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Grand Funk Railroad

Mark Farner, former lead singer and guitarist for Grand Funk Railroad, will be performing July 31, 2010 at The Violet Festival just outside of Columbus, OH. from 8:30 to 10:30 p.m

Admission is $2.00 :)

Also, Mark Farner's son, Jesse who is age 21, took a terrible fall on July 3, sustaining a life threatening fracture to his cervical spine. As of now he still remains in the hospital....

My prayers go out to Jesse!

::Mark Farners Official Website::

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score

Interesting Magic. I prefer their very first 3 albums: On Time, Grand Funk, and Closer To Home. I also liked the single Rock n Roll Soul.

Time Machine

Vic2010

Reaction score

I loved Grand Funk back in the day. I still love those old albums. When I was a kid I had a compilation album of their's titled "Mark, Don, and Mel." The album jacket looked almost exactley like the cover of Closer To Home. Today I only have 3 of their CDs, Grand Funk (the Red album), Closer To Home, and some cheapo compilation album that I bought only for Into The Sun. Yeah, loved all those great jams like Paranoid, Into The Sun, I'm Your Captain, etc. Those were the days when Grand Funk really rocked :metal: Then they went a little poppish/commercial on us and I lost interest. Never cared for the radio hit "We're An American Band."

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online