Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
JjHgcflm-gotye-2011.jpg

Gotye Official Website

Albums:

Boardface (2003)
Like Drawing Blood (2006)
Making Mirrors (2011)

Gotye, pronounced "gore-te-yeah" is the project of Belgian born, Australian raised musician Wally de Backer. Starting his career as part of Australian indie band The Basics, Gotye has released 2 independent solo albums (Boardface - 2003 and Like Drawing Blood - 2006) so far and is just about to release his 3rd "Making Mirrors". His music is ethereal, sometimes industrial but most of the time, beautiful. With his voice being the main display, he can whisper or wail at will, and he always creates something different.

His current single "Somebody I Used To Know" featuring Kimbra has hit no.1 on the Australian charts, and is all over triple j at the moment:

And a few other of my favourites:

limpy

Penguin Power
Reaction score
Sal! I saw that song on TV "Somebody I used to know" the other day! They said it had topped (I think it was the ARIA's chart, or one of the big music charts! Can't remember which one) but it took Adel's "Someone Like You" off, which had been their for around 6 weeks. It's great song! The thing I like most about it, is just how it builds and builds. Yet it's a strong song!

The other favorite song I really loved bumping too :D "Learnalilgivinanlovin" Kinda has a bit of a 60's 0r 70's feel to it! Love it! and "Coming Back" Wow what an intro! I felt like doing the tango! :heheh: Great Music!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Hey dude, I remember hearing you debut these guys for me on Facebook and you said you were going to make the thread after. Well after hearing the "Somebody That I used To Know" again I know why this band stuck out for you. Very Peter Gabriel and as the biggest Genesis fan here how could you not like them! :heheh: Also they are diverse as they go into Huey Lewis mode on "Learnalilgivinanlovin" and a little Muse on "Coming Back". Good band but I have a hard time hearing this being on a single album if it is! :heheh: The first track is still my favorite! Cool band! :cheers2

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I actually didn't see the PG connection Soot! :heheh: But Gotye's music is incredibly diverse, he goes experimental mashup on "A Distinctive Sound", beautiful sombre acoustic on "Bronte" and even old school pop on "I Feel Better". IMO, he's one of Australia's most accomplished musicians and is deserving of all the praise and popularity he's been recieving lately! :D

Here's some of what I mean:

opera races

Reaction score
Wow, I guess nothing gets by this forum! :)

I just got an e-mail from a good friend of mine who told me she she heard Somebody I Used To Know on a radio station in Milwaukee then shared the following video with me. It's pretty cool! :****: Sort of has me thinking of "lounge music". I wonder if that neighbor who left Gotye his record collection had some Martin Denny or Esquivel?

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
"Somebody I Used To Know" seems to be one of those tracks I keep hearing, it's different, but I quite like it! :D I must check out their other songs to see if they appeal! :D

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
^^ It's becoming quite a hit over in the U.S.A at the moment. I believe it first became popular with this cover done by 5 people playing one guitar:

In Your Light is probably my favourite from the new album though:

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Gotye's "Sombody I Used To Know? has been covered by Walk Off The Earth and has received over 108 million youtube views!!!

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Yeah I think I'm going to have to get that "In Your Light" album, it's seems too interesting to simply ignore! :eek:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online