Getting a new guitar, but not sure which one.

TheOriginalKingOfRock

Reaction score
-Gibson 2014 SGJ14 Electric Guitar
Gibson 2014 SGJ14 Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

-Epiphone Les Paul Ultra-III Electric Guitar
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra-III Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

-Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty 3 Electric Guitar
Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty 3 Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

-Epiphone 1984 Explorer EX Electric Guitar
Epiphone 1984 Explorer EX Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

The music i wanna play would be versatille but mainly things like

-The Doors
-Led Zepplin
-The Who
-AC DC
-metallica
-nirvana
-Rolling stones

etc..

just looking for some opions which you may recommend cause they are all great guitars but cant put my finger on one :/

limit is 900

queenkrule

Reaction score
I personally, have always wanted an electric Gibson guitar (Gibson SG in Cherry)
The Les Paul Black Beauty 3 is really beautiful. They all are. But I think that's the one I'd go for.
Good luck with whatever you end up choosing! :)

Speed King

Rockin to the East & West
Reaction score
I'd either do the Les Paul Standard (ultra III) or the Les Paul Custom (black beauty). One thing to consider with 3 pickup guitars, it's tough to not hit the center pickup when either strumming or picking single notes. Many players lower the middle pickup all the way down.

The SG would also be good, it's an actual Gibson, the Explorer has active pickups, not everyone likes those.

TheOriginalKingOfRock

Reaction score
@SpeedKing

can you explain what active pickups are?

and would you think the 3 pickups would get confussing? or just come with time and learning how to use them?

Speed King

Reaction score
can you explain what active pickups are?

and would you think the 3 pickups would get confussing? or just come with time and learning how to use them?

I'll give it a try,...active pickups are pickups that have an on board battery, EMG is probably the best known company that produces active pickups. Active pickups are most often used by metal bands like Metallica and Megadeath that play at high volumes (they feedback at much higher volumes). If I remember right, the main reason active pickups were developed was to reduce or eliminate the hum that passive pickups produce. They are often called "sterile" because of their reduced dynamic range. Those who are fans of active pickups say they produce a more detailed sound.

As for the third pickup, it's not confusing at all, and gives you more options as far as sound through combining the pickups in different ways. With 2 pickups, the combinations are neck only (up). neck/bridge (mid) bridge only (down). With three pickups you have a single pickup for each position, but you can wire in a five-way switch and have neck only, neck/mid, mid only, mid/bridge, bridge only

TheOriginalKingOfRock

Reaction score
ooh i get it now about active pickups, makes sense

sorta confussing with the 3 pickups but it would come as time goes on. thanks for the info man!

Speed King

Reaction score
Glad to help, there are more combinations you can do with a five-way switch but the ones I listed seem to make the most sense to me. You can also rewire the three-way but you'll lose the mid pickup only position.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a Les Paul. It is the absolute work horse of rock and roll. But an SG is a little easier and an Explorer is even moreso.

I will own an SG (when I deserve one) but would pick all three of them for a lifetime guitar.

mseals

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a Les Paul. It is the absolute work horse of rock and roll. But an SG is a little easier and an Explorer is even moreso.

I have to agree with Khor...

Here's photo of my Custom Shop Les Paul Custom.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG00115-20110226-0051.jpg
    IMG00115-20110226-0051.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 15

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212