Georgia Satellites (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Georgia Satellites Official Website
Dan Baird's Official Website

This band formed in 1980 and then split in 1984, they did not have much success untill 1986 when their full length debut album came out. Battleship Chains was a big hit and the album did well. This song sounds remarkably like this Whitesnake track.......mmmmmm......I think anyway....you decide...

Albums

Keep the Faith EP (1985)
Georgia Satellites (1986)
Inspired By Jack Daniels: Live In Concert (1987)
Open All Night (1988)
In the Land of Salvation and Sin (1989)
Shaken Not Stirred (1997)

Railroad Steel

Whitesnake - Bloody Luxury

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Re: Georgio Satellites

My fondest memory of the Georgia Satellites was, for some reason, really digging their "Keep Your Hands to Yourself".

Years later I discovered it on the radio, in the car with my ex, and I was pretty stoked. The first thing that crawled out of his mouth was "what the hell is this shit?!"

Good times.

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
Re: Georgia Satellites

I'm a big fan - too young to see the band (missed them by a year!) but have seen Baird three times with three different bands. Last time was a couple of weeks ago with the Homemade Sin. Warner E. Hodges from Jason and the Scorchers on lead. Awesome show all the way through - reminded everybody what rock and roll is all about.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

I did see them years ago in Nottingham and my friend Anthony (RIP) went to the front for Battleship Chains and came out dripping with sweat, he loved it. There was one young lad who followed us off of the coach until he realised we were going to the pub and then we saw him getting turned away from Rock City as he was too young, felt sorry for him.

Fever

Reaction score

Thought I would bump up this thread since I saw Dan Baird in concert last night.He rarely plays in America anymore.I saw him in a small bar and I was about 5 feet from the stage.
His band Homemade Sin is Keith Christopher on bass(a former Georgia Satellite),Mauro Magellan on drums(also a Georgia Satellite) and Warner Hodges on guitar(from Jason and The Scorchers)

These videos are from another club but I was at about the same distance from the stage.

His setlist was mostly Georgia Satellite tunes plus a few solo(like I Love You Period).He also did some cover songs like Keep On Rockin' In The Free World,While My Guitar Gently Weeps(encore) and American Girl(encore).
It was a great show.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

"Battleship chains" was a great song by the GIORGIA SATTELITES.......pure rocknroll. I agree with you Sweaty about the 1st track you uploaded....very similar to Whitesnakes song.
Good to see ex members of the band still out there rocking.....might have to purchase an album in the cheapie section :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I'm curious Fever wasn't Dan Baird from Georgia originally...? And did he move abroad or something?

Fever

Reaction score

Dan Baird is from San Diego but he did move to Georgia where he formed the Georgia Satellites.I guess Dan is bigger in Europe than over here so he prefers to play more over there.His guitarist Warner Hodges encouraged Dan to come back to the States to play some shows.

Here is a video of I Love You Period from the show I went to.I was standing just behind the guy doing all the hand gestures.
The other guy singing is Terry Anderson.He wrote I Love You Period and Battleship Chains.He is from the Raleigh area and was in a couple of big local bands-The Woodpeckers and The Fabulous Knobs.Later he formed the Yayhoos with Baird.Terry's current band is Terry Anderson and the Olympic Asskicking Team

Fever

Reaction score

Terry Anderson and OAK opened for Dan Baird last night

The original version of Battleship Chains by The Woods

Terry Anderson and OAK

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11