Gene Simmons VS Rihanna

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Gene Simmons is an ignorant ponce just like every day of his life. I don't suppose he'll ever be going to see a DJ, then. :oyea:

Real musicians understand that not every artist is a frat party rock band. He might as well be condemning reggae for not having enough guitar solos, or solo piano concertos for not utilizing a drumset, or Yes for not having an abundance of 3 minute songs. I doubt even a creature like Gene sits around all day and listens to nothing but hair bands.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Well to be fair Gene is a huge fan of Rush...and they are not known for hits songs and do massive long ones too.

I am neutral on this one, I see Gene's point, but there is also no denying new talented popular artists no matter what genre they are from.

However I am vehemently opposed to lip-syncing, auto tuning and fakery at live shows...Perform and be Real. That is one thing about the old days I respect and always will, you had to have Moxie live to get noticed and no trickery either.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
^^Well to be fair Gene is a huge fan of Rush...and they are not known for hits songs and do massive long ones too.

:grinthumb That was actually my point, that Gene is poo-pooing the inherent variety of music when even he himself wouldn't want everything to sound like Kiss.

However I am vehemently opposed to lip-syncing, auto tuning and fakery at live shows...Perform and be Real. That is one thing about the old days I respect and always will, you had to have Moxie live to get noticed and no trickery either.

For the record, I've never heard anyone credible accuse Rihanna of lip-syncing at her concerts. I believe Gene is most likely referring to the fact that her instrumentations are electronic rather than having a rock band behind her (or else he's just being ignorant). But, of course, electronic music is its own style of music with its rightful place. Love it or hate it, nobody in their right mind would go to an accordion concert and yell out "play some effing guitar you phonies!" Which is why it's unbelievably silly for people like Gene to think calling out dance pop artists to play rock makes any sense to any rational human being.

edit: I've been looking through some clips and Rih Rih seems to have a decent amount of organic music at her shows...

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That's true enough, I do enjoy some "Old School" electronic music, but nothing with a DJ like the youngsters today have grown up with.:gg:

:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online