Geezer Butler Says Black Sabbath Have ‘Finished Recording’ New Album

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Black-Sabbath.jpg

SOURCE LINK

Good news, Black Sabbath fans: Your long wait for new material from the band is just about over.

Bassist Geezer Butler shared the news with ‘That Metal Show’ host Eddie Trunk during an interview conducted at the NAMM show in California this week, saying, “We’ve finished recording it.” Quickly amending that statement to add that guitarist Tony Iommi is currently “back in England putting down a couple of solos,” Butler concluded, “we start mixing it in Febraury and it will be out in June. The provisional title is ’13′ — unless we can come up with something more constructive.”

Mention of Iommi naturally brought up questions of his health, to which Butler replied, “He’s doing well; he’s really responding well. He has to go and have his medication every six weeks. But yeah, he’s really coming along well; he’s really doing well.”

With the record just about in the can and Iommi on the mend, the band is ready to focus on a year full of touring. According to Butler, “We start at the end of April in New Zealand, then we go to Australia, then Japan. June, we’ll be promoting the album, then July and August, USA. Then October is South America and Europe in November and December.”

Trunk asked Butler if he’d held on to his traditional post as Sabbath lyricist for the new songs, and he affirmed, “Yeah, I’ve written most of the lyrics. Ozzy comes up with the titles and then gives me an inspiration to write the lyrics. I think we’ve got 16 songs and I’ve written 14 sets of lyrics.”

With all this renewed activity on the Black Sabbath front, fans of Butler’s solo project GZR might be feeling a little ignored, but not to worry — as he told Trunk, “When I finish this cycle for the Sabbath touring and album and everything else, we’ll start work on the next GZR album. There’s a lot of material written. It’s just getting the time to record it. It’ll probably be sometime next year.”

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the album and it's great to hear that Tony is doing well. Last year they were fantastic at Donington and if they throw out any future UK dates I'll be there. Geezer is a legend.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I'm also glad Tony is doing better :grinthumb

Now if they can just patch it up with Bill Ward :heheh: :bonk:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm not nearly as excited about all things Sabbath as I was when a reunion tour was announced...then the Ward saga erupted...then it was overshadowed by Iommi's battle with cancer.

Not sure I'll pick up the new album or not...I'll wait till our resident Sabbath fanatics(Of which there are many....:hb: ) sound off on it.

ElPatanico

Dad Rockin Man
Reaction score
I'm not nearly as excited about all things Sabbath as I was when a reunion tour was announced...then the Ward saga erupted...then it was overshadowed by Iommi's battle with cancer.

Not sure I'll pick up the new album or not...I'll wait till our resident Sabbath fanatics(Of which there are many....:hb: ) sound off on it.

I agree, completely. However, I am a KISS fan. I picked up the last 2 KISS albums, so it would be quite hypocritical of me to ignore the new Sabbath.

What bothers me most is the title. 13???? Seriously?

As for Eddie Trunk... He has the gall to consistently bash KISS for not including his butt-buddy Ace and what not... but no questions for Geezer about Ward being pooped on? JEEEEEEEEZZZZZ!!!!!

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The drummer will have no bearing on how I will judge the new album because good music is good music and bad is bad regardless of band members. I still don't think I can be as excited for this as many other Sabbath fans are because musically I have doubts about whether it will be all that great.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I was thinking of the lack of cohesion and the rap-rock element, which did not work previously (with Tony Martin). Added to which, Bill Ward was as much a part of the sound of the original Black Sabbath as Ozzy Osbourne. The Heaven and Hell and Tyr albums came as pleasant surprises, so they could spring another, but I am not holding my breath!

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree Bill was as big a part of that original sound but then he was on albums I really had a distaste for as well. I am keen to hear how the new drummer will go on the new album actually but won't judge the music solely based on that, the rest of the music has to be good too. I have doubts on Ozzy too because his vocals have not impressed me for a long time in his solo albums.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online