Free bassists Andy Fraser dead at 62

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
teamrock.com

1280x720.jpg

Free bassist Andy Fraser has died at the age of 62, it's been confirmed.

He passed away on Monday morning. His cause of death has not been confirmed, but he'd been dealing with AIDS and cancer in recent years.

An official statement says: "Andrew McLan Fraser passed away on Monday at his home in California. He leaves behind his daughters Hannah and Jasmine Fraser, and their mother Ri, his sister Gail, brothers Gavin and Alex, and many friends and associates in the industry.“A survivor of both cancer and AIDS, Andy was a strong social activist and defender of individual human rights.”

Fraser was born in London in 1952 and was a founding member of Free at the age of just 15. As well as his work with Free, he had success with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers and Sharks.

In the 1980s he was diagnosed with *** and a form of cancer called Kaposi's Sarcoma and he battled with suicidal thoughts which, he wrote on his website, were only alleviated when he came out as gay.

Fraser had recently been a leading light in the Rock Against Trafficking charity. President Gary Miller said: “My dear friend did so much for the organisation, and for me personally.

“He was my little big brother and one of the greatest bass players and songwriters of all time.”

Slim Slow Slider

+2,727 posts as TheSound!
Reaction score
Upper West Side, Manhattan, New York City
Sorry to hear that, Free were a pretty seminal blues/rock band, sadly too many people know them only as being the band who did 'All Right Now' - but they were so much more than that, and I know of few better 'live' albums from the early 70's than 'Free Live' which for me is right up there with 'The Who Live at Leeds' and Deep Purple's 'Made in Japan' as one of the great live rock albums from that period, may he rest in peace.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Sadly that is half of a great great band gone. There had been rumours for a long time about a reunion tour. I never bought it myself - just wouldn't be Free without Paul Kossoff. Also there was bad blood between Andy and Paul Rodgers. R I P Andy.

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Great bass performance from Andy on this one.
Free - Mr Big
Whoops...try again

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notmrdurden

Staff online

Members online