Five years ago today...

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
The rock world lost an icon when Syd Barrett passed away. The members of Pink Floyd have stated many times before that the band would not have existed if it weren't for him. They also made sure that their former leader and friend was well taken care of financially.

Syd was a legend who unfortunately never got to understand what his music meant to people. Hopefully he has found solace wherever he is.

In conclusion, I present a couple of my favorite Barrett contributions with and without Floyd.

If you have anything that you wish to share please feel free to do so.

RIP Syd. Shine on! :uh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Nice thread Lady B. I don't have any of his solo albums, but I do enjoy listening to Piper...more nowadays than ever before.

RIP Syd, it would have been nice to see what kind of legacy you would have left if you lived a long and healthy life.

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Syd, Syd, Syd... what can be said about this man that isn't glaringly obvious to anyone who's had the immense pleasure of listening to a song he'd penned? His mind was wired for brilliance and creativity. His thought pattern was a wonderland filled with things that cannot be explained to this day.

He makes for a fascinating case study and I often wonder if he was in healthier mental standing at his time of death. What a legend. He is greatly missed, and has been since he left the music business.

Death on Credit

Reaction score
I still remember the day that he died...I had listened to Piper at the Gates of Dawn (which blew my mind at the time, and is still the only entire album I can listen to with the name "Pink Floyd" on it) for the first time just about a week before he passed on. I thought that it was kind of strange...I get into this guy, and then he dies a few days later.

He was a legend, that's for sure.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
RIP Syd! I often wonder how the band would have ended up had he not been hooked on LSD (I think that's what it was) and Dave had never taken over his role. Wasn't he sort of forced out of the band?

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
from what I've read several times, he became completely unreliable and they were forced to replace him. So to answer your question, yeah he was basically forced out.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online