First metal band?

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score
you are wrong, Fretbuzz. Black Sabbath's "Mr Crowley" uses classical influences. This song uses a Pipe Organ and Baroque-inspired riffs. Randy Rhodes was very into classical art and music theory. He created most of the mood and tone of early Black Sabbath....

If you'll read back over what I said more carefully, you'll see that I wasn't wrong. 'Mr Crowley' was recorded by OZZY after he left SABBATH. 'Mr. Crowley' is NOT a Sabbath tune, and Randy Rhoads NEVER played in Black Sabbath!

Earlier I said that Blackmore was the first to blend classical with rock, and that Randy Rhoads was the next to do it...and Randy Rhoads played on Mr. Crowley. I also mentioned that classical was not much of an influence in metal until 1980...which is when Ozzy's first solo album came out, with Mr. Crowley on it. Jeez.

Last edited:

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score
...Ozzy and Black Sabbath were the innovators of bringing back the Devil's Interval, which I hate to tell you comes from midieval times and classical music....

You really don't know what you're talking about. Hendrix was using the 'devil's interval' in his music years before the first Black Sabbath album came out. And when Sabbath used it, that was Iommi playing it, not Ozzy.

Of course I know that the devil's interval comes from medieval music. Duh. The fact is that Iommi's style of playing mainly relies on the pentatonic minor which is basically the blues scale. I have every Sabbath album up until Dio joined the band, and every electric solo Iommi played on those albums is based on this scale.

The pentatonic minor is a scale that is played ALL OVER THE WORLD and goes back much further than classical music. It's played in Africa, and the slaves are said to have brought this scale with them when they came to America. Its a fact, look it up.

Last edited:

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score
...Give Beethoven an electric guitar and put him in our time and he would be among the greatest guitarists in history, the same goes for numerous others.

This made me laugh. Segovia was a great guitarist, but he couldn't play rock.
With rock, it's not just the notes you play, but the way you play them. Playing rock (or blues, or country) guitar is as physical as it is mental...you're fretting, squeezing, shaking, sliding, and bending with your left hand, and hitting, plucking, picking, and even caressing the strings with your right hand. It's a lot more than just knowing which notes to play at what time.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
Not sure who was the first, but Black Sabbath is damn close if you're talking about the era when the term "heavy metal" was coined. Before that, though, there were a handful of bands that were eschewing melody and that happy, poppy sound for sheer groove and evil, minor tones.

Sir Lord Baltimore was mentioned before...

High Tide is another good one

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Ok, I went and listened to the two examples MM posted. The elements of metal seem present to me in those examples except electric guitars.

Have you ever heard of Apocalyptica? This band isnt metal then because there is no electric guitars?

Surely you jest, AAG.

You can google and find quite a few metal bands that don't use electric guitars. Again, I think I need to reiterate that it is AMPLIFICATION (loudness) that counts, IMO.

Your assigning to me this idea of guitars as if that was the flagship of my argument. I mentioned guitars, in a clear jest ("sometimes they occasionally.."), as a mere example of one thing classical music lacks.

Ignoring lyrical & titular content, vocals (though not necessary), modern percussion conventions, song-structure and distortion, yet another thing classical music lacks is metal's frame of reference, which is regarded very highly in metal circles. That is to say, who these bands listen to and where they came from. A lot of times metalheads will consider a band that doesn't sound very metal (like, say, Agalloch, or Velvet Cacoon) to be metal because they rose from metal's frame of reference, whereas a band that sounds fairly metal but came from outside of metal (like, say, a punk band that starts playing metal) might not be included. Classical and metal are as far removed as it gets, in those terms. It may appear vain, but part of metal is the community.

I've heard of Apocalyptica. But you aren't still trying to convince me that metal and classical are one and the same, are you? Because if so, I'm going to have to pray that I don't fall through to the center of the Earth every time I sit down, from now on. Because all the things that I've thought my whole life to be immutably obvious and dependable are now up for questioning.

p.s. I've been digging the hell out of those 2 tracks arc posted. :D

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online