Favorite bands of the British Invasion?

Drifter

Reaction score
Here's my list and I'll make it ten groups.

The Rolling Stones
The Pretty Things
The Small Faces
The Who
The Kinks
The Creation
The Animals
The Zombies
The Move
The Searchers

SteveB

Member. 50+
Reaction score
As someone in a music paper wrote: 'You could put the British Isles in one corner of Texas'.
And to think that so much remembered music came from here? :)
The problem (well partly) for us Brits in the 1960s was the lack of outlet to hear these gems.
The BBC had a stranglehold on the airwaves until the Pirate Radio vessels appeared, (and the BBC is/was a very stuffy place). Radio Luxemburg was a very hit-and-miss affair, but because of the limited exposure environment, almost every new record/disc/song you heard was the best available. Well done Britain.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I was really shocked when I learned that we stepped up and embraced Stereo before England did Steve, considering England was exporting the most popular music by far back in the Invasion days, I would have thought it was the other way around.

I have talked about it in our "Moody Blues" thread, so I won't go into details here.

SteveB

Member. 50+
Reaction score
LG - I'll check out the MBs thread. In hindsight, the word 'parochial' doesn't begin to cover how stifling the UK was before the Swinging 60s. However, to its advantage, because it's such a (comparative to Europe/USA) small place, a lot of the bands that took part in the 'Brit Invasion etc' would regularly turn up in most nearby towns, and so you'd get a chance to see them. In fact a lot of these bands (Usually with only the original tambourine player left), still tour the UK. :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I know my friends Sox and Sweaty and LOU are always nipping down to the pub to chat with ELP or watch Lemmy or Byford's band put on a show and share a pint afterward...:heheh:

hawk11

Reaction score
1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
3. The Who
4. Cream
5. Traffic
6. Ten Years After
7. The Animals
8. Free
9. The Kinks
10. The Small Faces