Everything 80's Metal Hair Bands Related

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Sometimes I get the feeling I am the only true lover of the 80's hair bands on this forum so I'm starting a thread so that those into that hair sprayed Rock and Rollers can share all the bands they know of from that era.

Over the years I have found many a band from Europe and other countries that fit right into this genre, and not just your American main stream bands that got most of the credit for what they contributed during that time.

So I'm game to see the bands that were not so much popular here in the states.

List bands that were more obscure in other words..

top-20-best-80s-hair--large-msg-133779629768.jpg

tuff.jpg

Hanoi+Rocks.jpg

I'll start off with one of my favorite bands who via Europe arrived in 1989 on the metal LA glam scene from Sweden.

Shotgun Messiah

Zinny Zan on vocals
Harry Cody~ Lead guitar
Tim Skold~ Bass
Pekka Ollimen~ Drums

Sex Drugs Rock n' Roll

:oy:

Fever

Reaction score
I like a few hair bands and then there are others that I don't like one bit.My favorites have to be Dokken and Ratt.

I did see Cinderella and Poison a few years ago(I got free tickets) and was never really into those bands ,but came away very impressed by Cinderella. I know they had several hits ,but I wonder if they had a different name would they have been bigger?I I think more guys would have listened to them-They play some great blues rock and guys might not check them out because of the name.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^^ At the time Cinderella hit MTV I thought of course the name was silly but... When I heard their debut.. Shake Me and I'm not your fool took care of any skeptism I had about the band.
They are one of my top ten bands!!

Here's some more favorites..

D.A.D.

Electric Boys

opera races

Reaction score
^^Slip, isn't that 2nd picture in your OP actually Hanoi Rocks? Although they would fit in this thread too. There's more than one hair band influenced by them ...

I really like a few of those bands that got lumped in with the hair metal bands but weren't hair metal per se ... Great White, Cinderella, Tesla and L.A. Guns.

I just thought of a couple of obscurities but not where I can share right now ... will get back to this later on! This could be fun! :D

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^Slip, isn't that 2nd picture in your OP actually Hanoi Rocks? Although they would fit in this thread too. There's more than one hair band influenced by them ...

I really like a few of those bands that got lumped in with the hair metal bands but weren't hair metal per se ... Great White, Cinderella, Tesla and L.A. Guns.

I just thought of a couple of obscurities but not where I can share right now ... will get back to this later on! This could be fun! :D

Yes Opera.. That is Hanoi.. They are still touring but mostly over in Europe. But please contribute any bands that you know of..I'm very interested in anything that wasn't main stream..:cheers2

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Here are a couple of cuts from vinyl I owned in the 80s. I bought them while stationed in Germany, but they're long gone now. I'm hoping by finding a couple, I could knock the dust off my brain and more would come to me.

I haven't done any research. I just remembered a couple of titles. The 80s were a...fuzzy time for me.

opera races

Reaction score
Ok, first, honestly, I'm not trying to be contrary here :heheh: but I thought Danger Danger was a New York City band? Is it that they were more popular in Europe than the USA?

I have a pile of old Kerrang! magazines from the 80's and very early 90's and I'm sure there's a lot of bands that might fit in this thread ... thing is I know names; actual songs are another matter.

In the meantime ... I think Shark Island is one of those bands that was supposed to be the next big thing but wound up slipping through the cracks ...

Shark Island - Bad For Each Other

Shark Island - Paris Calling

The bassist in Shark Island, Chris Heilman, is English and previously was in a band called Torme along with Phil Lewis (Girl, L.A. Guns).

Torme - Star

opera races

Reaction score
Sweet Pain - another New York City band. I found out about them only because their bassist, Kelly Nickels, went on to be in L.A. Guns (yes, one might be sensing a pattern here :heheh:). I have their only release the s/t Sweet Pain on vinyl. To me it's an entertaining curiosity more than anything else. :D

Sweet Pain - I Get My Kicks/Subway Terror

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online