EMI selling Abbey Road Studio

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Saw a news report on BBC tonight that made me feel sad. Abbey Road is being put up for sale. Apparently the company that bought controlling interest in EMI is pressuring them to relieve part of the nearly $4,000,000,000 debt that they are carrying so anything of value is being considered for sale. The land that the studio is built on doesn't have much property value so the studio does have a chance to be sold to someone who will keep it. I hope Paul McCartney buys it, he has more than enough money to do so and maintain it as a historically irreplaceable landmark considering all the great music that has been recorded there.

This is a by-product of the digital age, the studio doesn't make money anymore, artists can record their own material on a laptop, use the latest software to make it a high quality production and then post their songs on Youtube or one of the other sites. The only hope EMI has to keep afloat is by using their knowledge of promoting concert tours etc., that big name artists still depend on, the days of the studios dominating every aspect of the music industry are coming to an end. We have gone over the pros and cons of downloading elsewhere and no doubt that is part of the reason this is happening, but it is not the Only reason. The business model that labels depended on for decades is being changed, they either evolve and keep up or they will go extinct and be replaced by some other business that is more efficient and specialized.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That is too bad. McCartney should buy it! But if it has little or no value property value wise, he probably wont make that kind of investment just for sentimental reasons.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
It also still attracts thousands of tourists to get their picture taken walking across the street. It is more than just a recording studio, part of the firmament of the musical legacy of the 60's up until the present.

I do think Paul should buy it, hell he has Billions of dollars and a few million to permanently save Abbey Road as a working studio then as a museum later would do nothing but enhance his legacy as well.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
It all depends on the company calling the shots, they are not even a music/entertainment company just another equity corporation so they don't care about anything but the money they can make.

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
Saw a news report on BBC tonight that made me feel sad. Abbey Road is being put up for sale. Apparently the company that bought controlling interest in EMI is pressuring them to relieve part of the nearly $4,000,000,000 debt that they are carrying so anything of value is being considered for sale. The land that the studio is built on doesn't have much property value so the studio does have a chance to be sold to someone who will keep it. I hope Paul McCartney buys it, he has more than enough money to do so and maintain it as a historically irreplaceable landmark considering all the great music that has been recorded there.

This is a by-product of the digital age, the studio doesn't make money anymore, artists can record their own material on a laptop, use the latest software to make it a high quality production and then post their songs on Youtube or one of the other sites. The only hope EMI has to keep afloat is by using their knowledge of promoting concert tours etc., that big name artists still depend on, the days of the studios dominating every aspect of the music industry are coming to an end. We have gone over the pros and cons of downloading elsewhere and no doubt that is part of the reason this is happening, but it is not the Only reason. The business model that labels depended on for decades is being changed, they either evolve and keep up or they will go extinct and be replaced by some other business that is more efficient and specialized.

Imo, this has got more to do with the $4,000,000,000 debt than how much Apple Studios is being used. As far as I know it's being used quite a bit. I don't think downloading is the issue here at all. Imo.

Reaction score
Imo, this has got more to do with the $4,000,000,000 debt than how much Apple Studios is being used. As far as I know it's being used quite a bit. I don't think downloading is the issue here at all. Imo.

I think you mean home recording, not downloading;)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Sad day for this place from history, someone should buy it, they will probably build a car park on there and then realise what has happened and build another next door exactly the same, sounds familiar!! I love the Beatles and this place is a historical place and should be preserved for all to see. Downloading songs is ok but to have the CD is something else, I have ranted about this before, a dying breed I am afraid.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online