Eels (Official Thread)

Oblivion

Reaction score
Eels

Eels (often typeset as eels or EELS) is an American rock band formed by singer/songwriter Mark Oliver Everett, better known as E. Other members rotate frequently, both in the studio and on stage. Eels' live shows include new material, interpretations of older songs, and usually some well-known cover versions.

Eels appear in several film soundtracks, including American Beauty, Holes, The Anniversary Party, Knocked Up, The End of Violence, Hellboy II, Hot Fuzz, Yes Man, and all three Shrek movies.

beautiful_freak_the_eels.jpg

I'll be mainly talking about the album beautiful freak.
Not because this is their best album. Not because you should start with it when you are new to Eels. None of that...
The only reason is because it begins with this sentence:

life is hard and so am I, you better give me something so I don't die, novocaine for the soul

This album is something special. Quite alternative… The above song is followed by a story-telling song named “susan’s house”. It’s about how fcked up the world can be… kids having kids, drugs, Baywatch, violence… And by using some sort of reporter-voice to tell the story this song really makes you listen :) I like it…

Next song is this one:

Rags to rags and rust to rust
How do you stand when youve been crushed
So rags to riches was a bust

Quite depressing actually :lmao: but it was also quite the succes (for a first album).
The song "Your lucky day in hell" was used in the movie scream, along with other songs for other TV-stuff..

Following the success of Beautiful Freak, E experienced a difficult time in his personal life. Several friends died, his sister committed suicide, and his mother was diagnosed with cancer. These events inspired him to write Electro-Shock Blues, released in 1998. The lyrics deal with many morbid subjects including suicide, death, and cancer.

51PZic2eFAL._SY300_.jpg

Song titles include "Going to your funeral part one" (there is a second part), "my decent for madness" and "Cancer for the cure", so a bit morbid but nevertheless also a great album...

One of the many underrated bands out there in my opinion, and great to see on stage...

This is their complete albumlist

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombeels

Reaction score
Re: Eels

The other band that is in my username. Beautiful Freak is one of the best albums of all time. Not a bad song on the album. I have found their last few albums to be disappointing.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

:heheh:

Is that how you got your name Zombeels?? :grinthumb

I like these guys...I dig the cover of Beautiful Freak.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I keep forgetting about this band, I think I'll pick up the album Zombeels likes first.

Oblivion

Reaction score

I keep forgetting about this band, I think I'll pick up the album Zombeels likes first.

:) pick up electro shock blues also and you have the essence of eels... From there on you could either persue them more, or stop :grinthumb

Pistol

Pointing at you
Reaction score

End Times is the upcoming eighth studio album by American rock band Eels, set to be released on January 19, 2010.

New album is already out, haven't got oppurtunity to give a full listen but sounds quite nice upto now.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

Great band, love their style, almost old fashioned and very upbeat and happy. So many good songs, they definitely turn my screws! :grinthumb

Oblivion

Reaction score

End Times is the upcoming eighth studio album by American rock band Eels, set to be released on January 19, 2010.

New album is already out, haven't got oppurtunity to give a full listen but sounds quite nice upto now.

You mean you already have End Times ? :rolleyes:

Salmacis: :p That's the first time I've seen the word 'happy' related to eels... :lmao: The songtitiles alone are sometimes enough to scream "depression"

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

Their music is schitzophrenic. It's happy and sad at the same time, singing of despair in an upbeat way. It's a clinically insane mix that gives me shivers, but I love it all the same!

At least that's the impression I get :D

Oblivion

Reaction score

Their music is schitzophrenic. It's happy and sad at the same time, singing of despair in an upbeat way. It's a clinically insane mix that gives me shivers, but I love it all the same!

At least that's the impression I get :D

I agree

"Novacaine for the soul" sums it up. :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online