Eddie Van Halen is waiting for David Lee Roth

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
musicenthusiastmag.com

eddie-van-halen-new-album-no-idea-david-mem-1.jpg

Eddie Van Halen recently revealed that he’s interested in working with David Lee Roth on another studio album.

Guitar virtuoso Eddie Van Halen was recently spotlighted this past Thursday (February 12) as part of the Smithsonian Museum’s “What it means to be an American” program, where aside from donating three guitars and an amplifier to the organization the guitarist discussed his life’s story for an audience of close friends, family and the press. Following his speech, Rolling Stone caught up with Edward to address one question in particular: What are Van Halen‘s plans for the near future?

Unfortunately, the answer was less than inspiring. Eddie hinted that he hasn’t been in contact with frontman David Lee Roth for some time, explaining that he doesn’t even know where the band’s lead vocalist currently lives. “I’d love to make a studio record,” he said. “Depends on everybody’s timing. I don’t know what Dave is up to now. I don’t know if he’s living in New York or Japan or wherever he is.”

Diamond Dave has had a uncharacteristically low profile for the past twelve months since the conclusion of Van Halen’s world tour in support of their acclaimed 2012 reunion album, ‘A Different Kind of Truth,’ which included appearances in Japan and Australia. Aside from a humorous Christmas song and an appearance during the star-studded Foo Fighters concert celebrating Dave Grohl’s birthday last month, little has been heard from the frontman.

There has been some noticeable activity from the Van Halen camp in recent weeks, however. Following a plethora of unconfirmed reports, it was announced that the band will soon be releasing their first live album featuring Roth on lead vocals, ‘Tokyo Dome Live in Concert,’ this March, alongside newly remastered versions of the debut ‘Van Halen I’ and ‘1984’ studio albums, which have been handled by mastering engineer Chris Bellman.

25 songs from the band’s catalog will be featured on their new live release, which will be packaged on 2 CD, 4 LP and digital formats. ‘Tokyo Dome Live in Concert’ will feature an offering of the band’s widely played hits, such as “Everybody Wants Some” and “Hot For Teacher,” as well as such newer numbers as “She’s the Woman” and “China Town,” in addition to some scarcely appreciated tracks, for example “I’m the One” and “Romeo Delight.”

Eddie Van Halen also revealed during his Smithsonian appearance that his son and Van Halen bassist Wolfgang Van Halen has been working on a solo album, which may find it’s way out onto the shelves before the end of the year. “Wait until you hear his record,” Eddie offered. “This is not [his] pop talking, this is real talk, it blew my mind.”

Read more: Eddie Van Halen Says He's Waiting on David Lee Roth to Make Another Van Halen Album