Easy listening

Pixel

The Woolly One
Reaction score
I apologise if there's a similar thread already, but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything specific.

Now, easy listening is not a genre I really like. But I got to thinking about it because my mother loves it, and whenever I go back home to visit my family, it is almost always playing in some form. So although I would much rather be listening to metal or rock, I find easy listening to be very comforting, reminding me of my childhood.

The main artists my mother likes are Irish. Daniel O'Donnell, Mary Duff, Foster & Allen, Dominic Kirwan, Sean O'Farrell, people like that. Does anyone here know of, or like, any of these artists?

Feel free to talk about the above, or any other easy listening artists, in this thread :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I used to have a couple of James Last albums years ago, but never really got into easy listening music too much.

BJ Thomas, Engelbert Humperdinck, The Carpenters, Olivia Newton John, Stephen Bishop, Rupert Holmes, Richard Clayderman all come to mind, they are okay for background music, but like you Pixel I much prefer rock or metal or my Classical instead.

Pixel

The Woolly One
Reaction score
I've only heard of 3 of those artists you mentioned, and I always assumed James Last was indie :blush:

And yeah, I prefer this kind of music to stay as background music, although I went though a bad period when I moved back in with my parents after I broke up with my fiance, and actually really focused on the lyrics; they were depressing, and made me feel miserable, and yet comforted, at the same time :confused:

snowblue

Reaction score
I like Stephen Bishop........

Pixel, I work with the elderly and when I call in to visit, many of them have their Daniel O'Donnell CDs or DVDs playing. They all tell me what a "lovely boy he is"! :rolleyes: :D

Your mum is probably near my age (I'd imagine) and a lot of my friends listen to that kind of music too! Where did I go wrong? :tongue:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^James Last was very popular, and I even ordered a record of his back in the mid-70's.(Mom had a Columbia House record club membership so we got to order a few albums a year.) Anyway the song list on the record was really good and I thought I was getting original versions for some reason or other, then when I got the album I was totally disappointed.:wa He took all the good rock songs and "Homogenized" them into elevator music...boy did I learn my lesson.:lmao: But the record only cost me $.97 so it wasn't a total loss, but listening to Slade's song "Mama We'er All Crazy Now" and Last's diluted version was a shock to the system, I am glad I didn't suffer permanent damage.:D

Of all the easy listening bands one that I do love is "The Carpenters", Karen just had a gorgeous voice and I am proud to have 3 of their CD's in the library.

Pixel

The Woolly One
Reaction score
Pixel, I work with the elderly and when I call in to visit, many of them have their Daniel O'Donnell CDs or DVDs playing. They all tell me what a "lovely boy he is"! :rolleyes: :D

Your mum is probably near my age (I'd imagine) and a lot of my friends listen to that kind of music too! Where did I go wrong? :tongue:

My mother is nearly 63, she's loved Daniel for nearly 20 years now. She has met both him and Mary Duff, who has done a lot of duets with him (she had her nose pierced because Mary Duff has a nose stud :wtf:) and a few years ago seriously considered moving to County Donegal, where he is from...haha, did you know that he actually invites his fans to his home for afternoon tea and biscuits? And he has women in their 90s following him across the world :wtf:

I agree LG, Karen Carpenter's voice is absolutely amazing, but unfortunately love songs make me feel extremely uneasy :(

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TGIElvis7

Members online

No members online now.