Dweezil Zappa says Zappa Family Trust planning to trademark the name Zappa

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Story

His live show was originally called Zappa Plays Zappa, but he had to change it to Dweezil Zappa Plays Frank Zappa when the ZFT objected.

Further intervention by the ZFT saw him perform under the banners of Dweezil Zappa Plays Whatever The **** He Wants and Dweezil Zappa: Cease And Desist.

Now he claims the ZFT want to stop him using the name Zappa altogether

Apparently Ahmet and Diva (the two least talented Zappas ever) were left in charge of the organisation as its trustees.

So what, this is their way of making a buck (or a whole lotta bucks) off the family name, but how the fu©k do they figure to keep Dweezil from using his own last name?

I remember some ex-Dokken members trying to stop Don from using the name "Dokken" at some point. As far as I know that went nowhere.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
These family battles can go on for ages and get rather nasty. It is my understanding that Gail Zappa, who is now deceased, allowed Dweezil to perform for over a decade as Zappa Plays Zappa. Now that Gail's 2 children have control, it would seem they want to cut Moon & Dweezil out of the picture. Going as far as to try to keep him from using his natural born name is ludicrous.

I honestly doubt the Family Trust will succeed in stopping Dweezil from using his last name and I don't think they can trademark "Zappa".

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
They might be able to trademark it for specific use (ie: music related).

Preventing Dweezil from using it is likely impossible, even if he has to use a grandfather clause.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online