Drop D Tuning

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
Dropped D tuning is the magic tuning that can make the most novice guitarist sound like and elite. It also gives the guitar that nice thick dirty tone. Power chords become as easy as 1+1. I use drop D sparingly because I prefer standard tuning. I like to find new chords. I like the Csus4 and Cm#7. They are unique sounding chords and take an understanding of music. You are not just playing a bunch of power chords. Beause I often play my acousitc with a capo I find different ways to play ceartin chords.

I like dropped D, belive me it sounds great in hard rock and metal. However, one of the greatest metal bands ever Metallica, played in standard. I just find drop D to be almost like a cheat sheet. I feel that Kurt Cobian couldn't have wrote most of his songs if it wasnt for drop D.

Am I alone among the guitarists in this assesment of dropped D.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of drop D myself. Occasionally I will tune my acoustic in drop D but rarely ever if at all will I play electric out of standard tuning.

Reaction score
I use it quite a bit, actually... It's great for some country/southern rock sounding stuff.. it creates a really thick sound for some songs:grinthumb

Reaction score
very true. I did a song where i used slide guitar. I used drop d in that song

I picked it up from the Eagles... on a lot of their songs, they have an acoustic guitar in the back of the mix in drop D:D For some reason though, I don't like playing slide in any tuning except standard.. even open tunings...:confused:

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
I picked it up from the Eagles... on a lot of their songs, they have an acoustic guitar in the back of the mix in drop D:D For some reason though, I don't like playing slide in any tuning except standard.. even open tunings...:confused:

I respect you guitar playing greatly so we will have to agree to disagree :D

Reaction score
I respect you guitar playing greatly so we will have to agree to disagree :D

I don't know what it is, when I try to play slide with it, it just doesn't make sense to me, I can play some things in other tunings, but I think it's because I'm a sucky slide player:heheh:

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
I don't know what it is, when I try to play slide with it, it just doesn't make sense to me, I can play some things in other tunings, but I think it's because I'm a sucky slide player:heheh:

I love slide guitar. It is a bit of a lost art but, whenever I hear it I think of Muddy Waters.

Pat Catalano

Reaction score
I think most rock guitar players do the Drop D thing to sound heavy. I enjoy Standard tunning for most my originals I write and they sound heavy. But I don't mind a Drop tune here and there. Hell before this band I was in a band where we were tunning full step then drop C. murder on my Floyd Rose! lol

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Staff online

Members online