Dream Theater Name New Drummer

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Dream Theater finds new drummer for upcoming album

Source:

Info:
Following the drama of Mike Portnoy quitting both Dream Theater and most recently Avenged Sevenfold, after joining them due to the tragic passing of The Rev last year, rumor has it that Dream Theater will announce German Marco Minnemann as their official drummer. Marco Minnemann has performed and recorded with artists such as: Paul Gilbert, Necrophagist, Kreator, and many more. Despite being German, Marco Minnemann is based in San Diego, California

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Re: Dream Theater finds new drummer for upcoming album

Well it looks like he has the chops to pull it off....

:DK

It should all sound ok...just gonna miss Mike sitting up there. :wa

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Yeah, it's going to be weird not hearing Portnoy on the drums :( But...i'm very excited to hear how the new stuff will sound. Minneman is an absolutely talented drummer. It should be great. Especially since we still have Petrucci, Rudess, Myung, and LaBrie. It'll be a great album on top of all their other great albums.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

They're all great writers...the music should not suffer. :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I want to be optimistic for Dream Theater's sake but I have a feeling that this just isn't going to work on the bigger scale. He may be able to play Mike's drum parts but even still there was so much more Mike did for the band than just drum. I am quite skeptical of how this will pan out.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

I want to be optimistic for Dream Theater's sake but I have a feeling that this just isn't going to work on the bigger scale. He may be able to play Mike's drum parts but even still there was so much more Mike did for the band than just drum. I am quite skeptical of how this will pan out.

I can definitely agree to that. Portnoy helped with the set-lists for live shows. I think he wrote a majority of the songs (i could be wrong), and he had the "Dream Theater drummer" look about him. I was sad when they didn't allow him to come back though. I wish they did. It would have made the album THAT much better. But...its a new album nonetheless.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Mike didn't help with the set list, he managed the entire set list. He even went as far as keeping track what songs the band played the last time they visited cities so that the crowd would get different songs each time they play there. He also handled half of the production along side John Petrucci in addition to having a large part in the songwriting.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Mike didn't help with the set list, he managed the entire set list. He even went as far as keeping track what songs the band played the last time they visited cities so that the crowd would get different songs each time they play there. He also handled half of the production along side John Petrucci in addition to having a large part in the songwriting.

That's right, I knew it had something to do with the set list. I had been confusing him with someone else. He had a huge part of Dream Theater that no other drummer will ever be able to fill. I'm keeping an open mind about the new album, but I wish I could be happy that it's coming out. Honestly, i'm a bit saddened that they didn't allow Portnoy back, and went along and did a new album anyway. Though....I guess they can't NOT release a new album.

So im with you, im a bit skeptical about it. But it's 100% not going to be like any of their stuff before this one. It's going to be weird upon first listen as well. I'll be thinking it's Portnoy, but it won't be.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Well Mike just wanted to take a little time off from Dream Theater, ya know just put the band on hold for a bit, but the rest of them weren't having it and I really do have to disagree with their choice. I'm especially sad over it because "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" was such a great album and an all time best for them in terms of charts. I think giving up Mike like that is going to be a the set back that will prevent Dream Theater from possibly reaching unprecedented heights on music charts and making a major uproar in the music industry.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Well Mike just wanted to take a little time off from Dream Theater, ya know just put the band on hold for a bit, but the rest of them weren't having it and I really do have to disagree with their choice. I'm especially sad over it because "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" was such a great album and an all time best for them in terms of charts. I think giving up Mike like that is going to be a the set back that will prevent Dream Theater from possibly reaching unprecedented heights on music charts and making a major uproar in the music industry.

Oh man, I can't agree with you more. Black Clouds was an absolutely phenomenal album. The Count of Tuscany is such a beautiful song (i think im going to listen to it now). It makes me emotional especially at the end with the guitar and LaBrie's singing. I think hopefully, through time...Portnoy will come back. Or maybe he'll put a lot of work into another project. Who knows :rolleyes:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online