Does anyone believe the Beatles...

Manny2014

Reaction score
...intentionally created the 'Paul Is Dead' hoax?

I have read the book 'The Walrus Was Paul' numerous times and I just cannot believe that The Beatles didn't intentionally spread clues relating to the rumor. There's just too many clues! They denied it every chance they got, but I think they did create this intriquing 'myth'! Anyone else agree?

I don't think the real McCartney died. I just think they played a fun little hoax on their fans.

Discuss!

If you don't know what I am talking about, Wiki or Youtube 'Paul Is Dead'. Fascinating stuff!

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
I guess so. I mean the front cover of Abbey Road is a massive clue in itself. I'm unfamilliar with the supposed lyrics found in some songs that I've heard about. But as a myth, it's a pretty good one. Ironic Paul is one of only 2 left...

Manny2014

Reaction score
I guess so. I mean the front cover of Abbey Road is a massive clue in itself. I'm unfamilliar with the supposed lyrics found in some songs that I've heard about. But as a myth, it's a pretty good one. Ironic Paul is one of only 2 left...

Or is it Billy Shears that is 1 of 2 left???? :D

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
1a) McCartney obviously never died and 1b) obviously wasn't replaced by some `new Paul`

2) yes, they denied all of the Paul is Dead rumors, but they had to (part of the grand plan)

3) yes they were totally behind the rumors that they constantly denied. The marketing genious behind this is almost hard to put to words. The created a frenzy and repeated it over and over and over again. This was eaiser to uphold since they weren't touring and basically just did their own thing and put out albums ever so-many-months.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I'd have to read up on it to really have an opinion, but I remember one of my
friends was kinda obsessed with this book that was a study, or investigation, or whatever, on the myth. He was sure that management had created the entire hoax and would quote all these "clues" from the book. TBH, I wasn't really listening to him, at the time I was more interested in the "funny cigarettes" and the girls he was trying to impress with all these "facts". Both of which were always present when he would go off on his "Paul is Dead" trips.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Well, the rumor likely started from someone, somewhere then The Beatles got wind of it then played along for their own kicks. I was aware of some of the bits. The Walrus was alledgely was him which was the symbol of death in Scandinavia. Abbey Road's cover where they were dressed in certain ways. Lyrics... "I buried Paul" in "Magical Mystery Tour"... Starr singing "You were in a car crash" in "Don't Pass Me By". Crazy stuff...

the_spore

God Emperor
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that some dumb teenager started the rumor and Lennon perpetuated it because he found it to be hilarious

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
Some college kid wrote a paper about a "hoax" and it caught the attention of a DJ named Russ Gibb. It spread from there. Of course the Beatles let it snowball, it was great for album sales. Kids were buying fresh copies of all the albums from "Rubber Soul" to the then newly released "Abby Road" so they could play the albums backwards, at slower speed, at faster speed, plus there were all the clues on the album covers. There were also magazines, books and even a TV special. It was a record company promo man's wet dream.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vikas2324thakur

Members online