Do you prefer live albums?

Khor1255

Reaction score
The exact opposite of this is KISS Alive!
Kiss Alive! is one of my favorite live albums by anyone and perhaps my favorite album from Kiss period. Great album. Every single song on the album is a better (sometimes much better) version than the studio version. I love the studio intro to Cold Gin so it is kind of close to the live version but...

I have my favorites, like everyone else.

Ted Nugent Double Live Gonzo really captures an atmosphere. Recorded in high summer, you can almost feel the humidity.
That's definitely Ted at his finest.

Pat Travers Live! Go For What You Know is just blistering guitar work from start to finish.

Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous has a flawless ebb and flow. Every song is perfectly placed.

Iron Maiden's Live After Death will always old a special place for me. I saw them 3 times on that tour. (Germany, Philly & Red Rocks Amphitheater in Colorado)
Not really that familiar with any of those albums.

I will say that D'Anno's sloppyness on Maiden Japan made me realize what they were talking about when they fired him for being unprofessional. I ultimately don't agree with the decision because he will always be Maiden's singer to me but I get it. If that was the course he was on he might not have made it alive for too many more years.

But that's a different subject...

BluesLoos

Reaction score
I prefer studio-recorded albums, whenever possible. The saddening truth is, decently performed&&recorded "live music" is an exception, not the rule. Generally speaking, the artists do not care whether they happen to sing and play out-of-tune and out-of-time, as long as the crowds in front of them are given a "sound background" loud enough for satisfying their collective hysteria.

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
I will say that D'Anno's sloppyness on Maiden Japan made me realize what they were talking about when they fired him for being unprofessional. I ultimately don't agree with the decision because he will always be Maiden's singer to me but I get it. If that was the course he was on he might not have made it alive for too many more years.

But that's a different subject...
So you are a Paul Di Anno fan Khor1255 that makes two of us. The guy has turned into a 'meathead' over the last 25 years but because the guy comes from punk and not from the normal way through heavy 1970s rock it gave him a 'street edge' that contrasted beautifully with the rest of the band who were straight ahead heavy rock guys in Steve Harris, Dave Murray & Clive Burr especially.

I have a dvd of Paul Di Anno with 'his' Polish backing band playing all the old material off the first two Iron Maiden albums from about 2015 in Poland and it is clear from as soon as Paul opens his gob he can't sing anymore and yet he tells the bemused crowd halfway through the gig that he believes the older he gets the better his singing is??. As for his young Polish backing band they played all the old Maiden material beautifully note for note, well done boys.

Last edited:

Marielle Miguel

Reaction score
There are some fine live albums and music vids, to be sure...but 95% of my listening, perhaps more, must be of studio-recorded material. But then, I listen to an awful lot of stuff, too...and go back a few years in that listening, so it's probably just old age... :p

Khor1255

Reaction score
So you are a Paul Di Anno fan Khor1255 that makes two of us. The guy has turned into a 'meathead' over the last 25 years but because the guy comes from punk and not from the normal way through heavy 1970s rock it gave him a 'street edge' that contrasted beautifully with the rest of the band who were straight ahead heavy rock guys in Steve Harris, Dave Murray & Clive Burr especially.

I have a dvd of Paul Di Anno with 'his' Polish backing band playing all the old material off the first two Iron Maiden albums from about 2015 in Poland and it is clear from as soon as Paul opens his gob he can't sing anymore and yet he tells the bemused crowd halfway through the gig that he believes the older he gets the better his singing is??. As for his young Polish backing band they played all the old Maiden material beautifully note for note, well done boys.
I would like to think if he were given an ultimatum to clean up or get out it might have gone different for him.

Maybe not.

But after hearing Steve Harris say Dickenson was the singer they always wanted I wonder if the replacement was inevitable?

Anyway, I somehow forgot to mention Strangers in the Night by UFO.

The versions of Mother Mary and Rock Bottom on that double album are far better than studio.

Most 70s bands of any worth had really good or even great live albums.

Peter S

Reaction score
i like lynyrd skynyrd live album-one more for the fan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
i like lynyrd skynyrd live album-one more for the fan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They have recently released the whole live Knebworth concert from 1976 where it is claimed 'the band blew the Stones off the stage' anyway leaving that claim aside I had tracks from that gig on a cd about 20 years ago although it wasn't the entire Knebworth gig as it contained several songs including 'Free Bird' that came from the Oakland gig in the USA called 'A Day On The Green' in 1977.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
These were very capable musicians indeed, I copped them in Brummie in '80 and were on point... Ignore the screaming teens and there are some fine songs on Duran Duran live... this Cockney Rebel cover is quite nice.

Reido

Reaction score
Live albums are great if it's the Allman Bros, Little Feat, Zappa, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Zeppelin. Most others I'm not interested in at all.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online