Dire Straits to Play Rock Hall Induction Without Mark Knopfler

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.co,

GettyImages-94103522.jpg

Dire Straits will perform at their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction next week – but without frontman Mark Knopfler, who's not attending the ceremony.

Keyboardist Alan Clark revealed the band's plans for its big night on his website, explaining that "there's a lot of conjecture on forums about whether the band is performing at the Hall of Fame, and if not why not and who in the band are going to the ceremony. Well, here it is and it's official: Myself, Guy Fletcher and John Illsley will attend the ceremony, where we'll be be performing an unplugged version of 'Telegraph Road' with me on harmonium, Guy on ukulele, John on banjo, and the vocal performed by the three of us as a three part harmony."

Dire Straits split up in 1995, and they were the last holdout from this year's class to detail their plans for the ceremony, which will be held in Cleveland on April 14. It was previously announced that Ann Wilson will induct the Moody Blues, Howard Stern will be on hand for Bon Jovi, the Killers' Brandon Flowers will induct the Cars, Mary J. Blige and Andra Day will pay tribute to Nina Simone and Alabama Shakes' Brittany Howard will induct early innovator Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

While there's no word as to why the reclusive Knopfler won't attend the ceremony, his brother David, who played with the band on its first two albums, said he won't be there either. He claims the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame reneged on travel costs.

"In their wisdom, after promising to pay my expenses they reneged on their promise," David Knopler posted in response to a Facebook question. "I can well understand that with only $5 mil a year in sponsorships and 100k a table and no fees for the artist that paying my taxi to the airport must have given them heart murmurs like Squeers hearing Oliver Twist asking for more and frightened them into refusal otherwise one might get the wrong idea entirely about what they're all about."

Dire Straits were formed in London in 1977 by singer and guitarist Mark Knopfler, rhythm guitarist David Knopfler, bassist John Illsley and drummer Pick Withers. Clark joined in 1980; keyboardist and guitarist Fletcher joined in 1984. The three members who plan to play at the Rock Hall induction were all with the group when leader Knopfler disbanded it in 1995, and went on to a solo career.

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Mark Knopler IS Dire Straits. He is awfully reclusive for sure but he is their driving force.

I suppose it isn't such a big deal though. Perhaps the brothers will make some other kind of appearance or note of appreciation.

F*ck the sickening jest that is the RnRHoF though

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
the RnR hall of Sham.

It took Sabbath how many ballots before they finally got in? Judas Priest isn't in. Maiden isn't in. But Metallica is?

How many years after eligibility did it take before Deep Purple, Kiss, Chicago, Moody Blues got in? Green Day got in on their first ballot?! Bon Jovi a first ballot entry?

Bon Jovi has influenced NOBODY in the history of music. They sold albums, they toured. They made money. But their "impact" on the industry is minimal at best. I say that as someone that likes nearly every single song on their first 4 or 5 albums. Saw them in concert a few times. I enjoy their glory days (the last 15-20 years have been largely forgettable), but bottom line, this band does NOT deserve to be in there for anything other than winning this year's popularity contest.

Madonna? NWA? Public Enemy? Run-DMC? All belong in the "Not rock and roll hall of sham", but not the RnR Hall of Sham.

*sigh*

As for Dire Straits even being in, it's arguable that they don't deserve it. I"m happy for them, but when Mark said he wasn't attending, the rest of the band should have stfu and turned down a performance. When David also said he wasn't attending, it should have been a no-brainer. Silly of them to even be attempting this.

For Mark to not show, that's not surprising at all. Fukk the RNR Hall of Sham, Fuk'm in their dirty corn holes for more reasons that i care to even go into beyond this little rant.

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
the RnR hall of Sham.

It took Sabbath how many ballots before they finally got in? Judas Priest isn't in. Maiden isn't in. But Metallica is?

How many years after eligibility did it take before Deep Purple, Kiss, Chicago, Moody Blues got in? Green Day got in on their first ballot?! Bon Jovi a first ballot entry?

Bon Jovi has influenced NOBODY in the history of music. They sold albums, they toured. They made money. But their "impact" on the industry is minimal at best. I say that as someone that likes nearly every single song on their first 4 or 5 albums. Saw them in concert a few times. I enjoy their glory days (the last 15-20 years have been largely forgettable), but bottom line, this band does NOT deserve to be in there for anything other than winning this year's popularity contest.

Madonna? NWA? Public Enemy? Run-DMC? All belong in the "Not rock and roll hall of sham", but not the RnR Hall of Sham.

*sigh*

As for Dire Straits even being in, it's arguable that they don't deserve it. I"m happy for them, but when Mark said he wasn't attending, the rest of the band should have stfu and turned down a performance. When David also said he wasn't attending, it should have been a no-brainer. Silly of them to even be attempting this.

For Mark to not show, that's not surprising at all. Fukk the RNR Hall of Sham, Fuk'm in their dirty corn holes for more reasons that i care to even go into beyond this little rant.

I couldn't agree with this more.

Roxi

Reaction score
David Knopfler is short of a bus fare?
There isn't a bus from the UK to Cleveland, Ohio. Maybe it isn't just about the money for travel; apparently the RnRHoS reneged on a previously agreed upon travel compensation.

At least the brothers are standing together! Yay Knopflers!

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
Something tells me that this sort of thing will be happening more and more.
Many artists have expressed real anger at the hall.
And those are the ones being inducted.
The biggest problem is that it has lost it's legitimacy.
A lot of artists not yet inducted have already expressed that they wouldn't attend if they were inducted.

The real problem is that at it's best Rock and Roll is too cool for this sort of organization.
It's the kid in the leather Jacket leaning against the wall outside school smoking a cig as the Jocks walk past.
As soon as you reduce it to another institution full of squares it loses the mojo.
Any real rocker would flip the hall the bird.
As soon as you mainstream angst it's just a brand.
Rock and Roll brought to you by Calvin Klein.
Nothing changes. **** the hall of fame.

This
is-presley_tupelo_9-26-56-no-3-handshakes-audience.jpg

Or This? Some people don't see the difference I guess.

81gfn5re-7L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online