Did you know

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
Only Whyman and Watts of the STones (bassist and drummer) attended Brian Jones funeral?

Lost a lot of respect for the other two.........

billtjr51

Reaction score
Only Whyman and Watts of the STones (bassist and drummer) attended Brian Jones funeral?

Lost a lot of respect for the other two.........

From what I read, Jagger and Richards did not like Jones, and Jones didn't like them, even from their early days. I can understand why they didn't attend. Jones was an asshole (from what I have read).

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
From what I read, Jagger and Richards did not like Jones, and Jones didn't like them, even from their early days. I can understand why they didn't attend. Jones was an asshole (from what I have read).

Well I read that Brian Jones was the founder of the band and was really the one that got them started (got them gigs, etc.)

Shortly after the band formed he would travel in a different bus then the rest of the bandmates, and sleep in different rooms and sometimes party with a different crowd or by himself. I think he got a little pissed that they where just trying to get Keith and Mick in the spotlight.

I heard he went into rehab for heroin and Mick and Keith snunk in and did some with Brian.

Emrock

Reaction score
Brian Jones was the most talented musician of the original Stones. He formed and named the band. He could play anything he picked up including saxaphone, marimbas, sitar not to mention he was one of the best slide guitar players in London.

Brian had a lot of problems, but heroin was not one of them. Mick and Keith forced him out of his own band because Brian was too fragile to tour and they wanted to go to America in 1969. He also had a recent drug conviction which would make it difficult for him to obtain a visa. Keith made off with Brian's girlfriend Anita Pallenburg and then they kicked him out of his own band. He might have had a few reasons to get numb.

www.TheWoodstockConspiracy.com
www.ClassicRockEsoterica.com

Kino

#1 Styx Fan
Reaction score
Oh wow I'm surprised the other two didn't go to his funeral. Thinking bands are like brotherhoods that they would attend.

Emrock

Reaction score
Jagger had stolen his band and Richards stole his woman. I can understand why they were reluctant. At the time, a lot of people knew what was going on in the band and their presence may have seemed inappropriate.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Brian Jones was the most talented musician of the original Stones. He formed and named the band. He could play anything he picked up including saxaphone, marimbas, sitar not to mention he was one of the best slide guitar players in London.

Brian had a lot of problems, but heroin was not one of them. Mick and Keith forced him out of his own band because Brian was too fragile to tour and they wanted to go to America in 1969. He also had a recent drug conviction which would make it difficult for him to obtain a visa. Keith made off with Brian's girlfriend Anita Pallenburg and then they kicked him out of his own band. He might have had a few reasons to get numb.

www.TheWoodstockConspiracy.com
www.ClassicRockEsoterica.com

That's correct. When the Stones got together in the summer of 1962, it was really the case of Mick, Keith and Dick Taylor joining Brian's band which included Ian Stewart on keyboards. After Dick Taylor opted to go back to school in lieu of playing bass (which he for whatever reason thought was a demotion), Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman were added.

You can't say that Brian was a blameless victim in all this though. He had some real personality issues and made himself difficult to say the least. Mick and Keith actually got on with him better than did Bill Wyman and Ian Stewart!

Brian had also emotionally abused his girlfriend, Anita Pallenberg, so horribly that he quite simply drove her into Keith's arms. She had been quoted as saying that she slept with three of the Stones when she first met them but had chosen Brian because he was the best. :heheh: There's also a rumour that she and Mick actually went all the way and had sex during the filming of a love scene in the movie "Performance" - which really annoyed Keith to put it mildly.

When drug and alcohol abuse left Brian completely incapable of functioning as a band member, the other Stones asked him to leave. In this though they probably had no choice.

Last edited:

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Lots of good info here:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/celebrity/brian_jones/index.html

This quote might help with the hard feeling people here might have (from page five.)

Five days later Brian Jones' remains were put to rest. Mick Jagger and his girlfriend Marianne Faithfull did not attend the funeral because they were scheduled to start work on the film Ned Kelly in Australia. Reportedly the producers of the film had threatened legal action if Jagger and Faithfull did not show up on schedule.

Keith Richards and Anita Pallenberg must have had their own reasons for staying away. After all they had been through with Brian, perhaps it was just too painful to bear.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online