Review Demon's Eye - Under The Neon

album review

scarabus

Reaction score
Demon's Eye is a German band that started in 1998 as a Deep Purple tribute band.
Demon's Eye is a track on Deep Purple's Fireball
Ian Paice guested on a few of their shows, they played with Jon Lord and the last couple of years Doogie White (Rainbow, Michael Schenker, Yngwie Malmsteen, LaPaz) steps in as their vocalist.
Together with Doogie they recorded "The Stranger Within", released in 2011, with all own compositions.
Last year, 2015, they released "Under The Neon".

Epic (instrumental) is an epic opener, starts soft and melodic. Than a heavy bass by Maik Keller joins and at the end there's a great Blackmoresque solo by Mark Zyk.

Road To Glory opens ala Long Live Rock 'n' Roll (drums). The song kind of plods along, but has a beautiful build up solo.

Closer To Heaven opens more melodic (reminds me of Dio), but during the chorus the song slows down. In the middle there's a melodic guitarsolo.

Five Knuckle Shuffle is a fast track. With a heavy guitar riff, the keyboards remind of Uriah Heep (Easy Livin'). Hallelujah to Doogie. Guess this will be a great song live.

Welcome To My World is the highlight of the album. A song out of the colourful Rainbow songbook.
Carefully build climax.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQfaFfTnze8

Finest Moment is a bluesy track, with a beautiful and melodic guitar and some great vocals by Doogie. Organsolo by Gert Jan Naus. Another highlight.

Fallen Angel is a song with different moods. Hard and soft passages with background vocals and string arrangements. In my opinion something is missing in this track.

Master Of Destiny kicks of heavy, but slows down when Doogie starts singing and after a while the band kicks in again. A short keyboardsolo. Like this one from the beginning.

Dancing On Air is short rock song with hard hitting drums by Andree Schneider.

Blood Red Sky another rock song with typical Blackmoresque solo

The Messenger is a slow song with passionate vocals by Doogie. Mark Zyk plays another great solo. Another highlight of the album. The end could have gone on a bit longer.

Than this version has two bonus tracks:

Destiny's Child a rock song with strong melody and vocals by Doogie and a longer keyboardsolo. When I hear this song I can't get it out of my head. The song ends with a guitarsolo, which is far too short.

Remember Times Like These- a tribute to Jon Lord. Starts with piano and the other instruments joining in quietly. Than Doogie takes this song to great highs. A great tribute to Jon.

All in all I'm very pleased with this album. After each listen I still hear new things and the album keeps growing.

If I had to choose I would put the bonus tracks on the regular cd and drop Dancing On Air and Blood Red Sky.

I think this album is better than The Stranger Within, which I liked also very much.

If you're a fan of Blackmore (DP or Rainbow) this is the closest you can get.
Don't expect DP or Blackmore ever to record such an album again.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Demon's Eye is a German band that started in 1998 as a Deep Purple tribute band.

Great review scarabus. I'm a huge fan of the Purple/Heep sound and you make this band sound very interesting. Thanks :grinthumb

btw, love the video. Will try get their album soon as possible :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online