Deep Purple (Official Thread)

E-Z

Reaction score
I often wondered why Painted Horse wasn't included since there is only seven songs on the album. Anyway, it's my least favorite of the Mark II albums. I was never a fan of Our Lady or Mary Long. Rat Bat Blue is one of Blackmore's coolest riffs but I think he should laid down a guitar solo for the song. I actually like Place In Line because, although he claims blues is limiting, Blackmore is a monster blues player when he wants to be and that solo is great the way it builds.
The track Place In Line from memory a rather long'ish track starts off at a 'normal' slow'ish pace then picks up the tempo and eventually 'explodes' into a big workout by the whole band and I suppose on reflection it is a ok number but maybe because it is sequenced in front of another rather long track in Our Lady that it doesn't quite work somehow?.

As for Mary Long I personally like that song and I believe the band did included it in some of there 1973 shows before dropping it. The song Mary Long is a up tempo song all the way through from start to finish and was a topical song for it's time referring to as it does to Mary Whitehouse television 'clean up' campaigner and Lord Longford a reverend/Bishop in the church of England I believe who amongst other things campaigned for Mara Hindley one of the 1960s 'Moors murderers' to be released from prison in England. The song name Mary Long is taken from both halves of the two names Mary Whitehouse & Lord Longford.

Last edited:

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
because it is sequenced in front of another rather long track in Our Lady that it doesn't quite work somehow?.

I agree. The album as a whole just doesn't flow IMO.

I believe the band did included it in some of there 1973 shows before dropping it.

They performed it with Morse on the Abandon tour.

E-Z

Reaction score
Yeah I have noticed that Mary Long was performed in concert in the 1990s/2000s (and maybe still is?) about 30-40+ years after it first appeared on the Who Do We Think We Are album in 1973. Personally speaking I think it is actually a very good song and a strong number on the Who Do We Think We Are album and I also like Ian's lyrics.

Marbles

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of WDWTWA but I think that, at the time, we all thought that it suffered a bit from being so similar, structurally, to "Machine Head" - 4 tracks on side 1, 3 on side 2, the second of which was an extended blues workout etc. It drew unfair comparison between the two albums as a result.

Nevertheless, personally, I've always rated it very highly. "Woman From Tokyo" is a fabulous song, as is evident from the fact that it has remained in the live set for so long since the departure of TMIB. Jon, hammering a piano for a change, I just love. There's not a track that is as commercially friendly on MH. "Mary Long" is a fairly straightforward song but doesn't suffer from that fact. "Super Trouper", "Smooth Dancer" and "Rat Bat Blue" have some really interesting song & time structures, to me they are far better songs than "Maybe I'm A Leo" or "Never Before" from MH. "Place In Line" I adore as much as "Lazy" and I really wish that they'd do it live in place of "Lazy" from time to time, perhaps alternating them. I do agree, though, that "Our Lady" sounds a bit like filler and isn't a great album closer. As a big fan (always) of "Painted Horse", I would have loved that to have been on the album (in the same way that it was criminal that "When A Blind Man Cries" was left off MH - but that was the problem, back in the day, with vinyl album lengths and having too much material!).

It's good to see that WDWTWA has some other fans on here. I don't really rate any one of the original Mark II albums any more highly than any other. All four are magnificent to me, even after close on fifty years of play.

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
It's good to see that WDWTWA has some other fans on here.
Yes it is good to see that Who Do We Think We Are has it's fan's and as I previously posted I actually like listening to it occasionally along with Machine Head and the 1997 Roger Glover remixed Machine Head cd as well. Also it was a shame that Painted Horse wasn't included on the original Who Do We Think We Are vinyl album back in 1973 (it mite have just been squeeze on side 2?) but never mind it is what it is.

Side 2 of the original vinyl album may have been?.-

Rat Bat Blue: Place In Line: Painted Horse: Our Lady

I believe Simon Robinson of the DPAS likes the song Smooth Dancer because he has included it in several Deep Purple compilation and Anthology records & cds over the last 30+ years I have noticed.

Below a bit of a small picture of the front album cover of Who Do We Think We Are

https://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/3/9/4/3394.jpg

Below Deep Purple pictured in 1973 after receiving gold discs for Who Do We Think We Are album sales. Note Ian smiling maybe he was pleased that it was nearly over for him but Roger looks a bit indifferent maybe he's wondering what the future holds for himself after being fired from the band!.

http://www.inthestudio.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/deep-purple-who-do-we-think-we-are-21-cd.jpg

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
DEEP PURPLE were (in my opinion) a 1970s band with the glory years being between 1970-1975. As for the re-formed DP I never thought much of them re-forming back in 1984 although the Perfect Strangers album sounds better now than it did to me back in 1984 when it was released. I liked the next album House Of Blue Light from 1987 (except for the album cover?) but apparently the band didn't but I still like tracks like Bad Attitude, The Unwritten Law, Call Of The Wild, The Spanish Archer & Strangeways and the rest. As for the current incarnation of the band I never listen to them anymore.

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Turning To Crime album due for release November 2021. I'm excited to hear all the covers since the singles released so far are good....

E-IpwgYWEAIrUVW.jpg

Tracklist
1. “7 and 7 Is” (Love)
2. “Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu” (Huey "Piano" Smith)
3. “Oh Well” (Fleetwood Mac)
4. “Jenny Take A Ride!” (Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels)
5. “Watching the River Flow” (Bob Dylan)
6. “Let the Good Times Roll” (Ray Charles & Quincy Jones)
7. “Dixie Chicken” (Little Feat)
8. “Shapes of Things” (Yardbirds)
9. “The Battle of New Orleans” (Lonnie Donegan/Johnny Horton)
10. “Lucifer” (Bob Seger System)
11. “White Room” (Cream)
12. “Caught in the Act” (Medley: "Going Down" /"Green Onions" / "Hot ‘Lanta" /"Dazed and Confused" / "Gimme Some Lovin’" )

Just for S.hits and giggles I found a playlist of the album by the ORIGINAL bands.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online