Deep Purple (Official Thread)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really like the new Deep Purple album.
The song BodyLine reminds me for some reason of Van Halen. Just me though but the vibe I get is an old school Van Halen one as well as maybe a touch of Aerosmith musically.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Well Nolo, I've played it through a couple of times and initially I'm really impressed. To me the general feel and vibe seems to hark back to early gear which is in no way a bad thing. Obviously the guitar sound is the element that lets us know what era we're dealing with but Steve is pure class anyway and what he does he does very well. It's the keyboards that have probably grabbed me the most from the off, I think Don does a great job but then again he's another seasoned pro. I can see this album becoming another favourite of mine in time. Still got to play it through the headphones yet though so I can concentrate and absorb more.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well Nolo, I've played it through a couple of times and initially I'm really impressed. To me the general feel and vibe seems to hark back to early gear which is in no way a bad thing. Obviously the guitar sound is the element that lets us know what era we're dealing with but Steve is pure class anyway and what he does he does very well. It's the keyboards that have probably grabbed me the most from the off, I think Don does a great job but then again he's another seasoned pro. I can see this album becoming another favourite of mine in time. Still got to play it through the headphones yet though so I can concentrate and absorb more.

Agreed with all this. I enjoyed the guitar tone on this album. There felt like old school moments of other bands to me in there too. Some felt very Van Halenish, others reminded me of a bit of early Aerosmith.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Riff .. Steve seems like a solid, no fuss musician who just gets on with the job. I saw him with DP on Jon Lord's last tour with the band and was astonished at his ability. I'm a huge fan of both Ritchie and Steve they have the technique, the feel and that extra special something that makes them stand out .. awesome.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score

I think keyboard was the main feature on this album. To me it is a great album considering the different technique of songwriting and Steve's guitar playing (in other words - different Purple). :grinthumb

Marbles

Reaction score
I really like this album. It has the feel of a more classic Purple album than the last few and Steve's guitar sound sounds so much better - warmer - than it has to date. Also, as Nololob says, the keyboards are more dominant again. I'd also add that there is more instrumental work across the album and less vocal.

I rate this with Bananas and Purpendicular as favourites of the Morse era - in fact I'd possibly go the extreme of saying that I think that it's my favourite Purple album since '76. I haven't stopped playing it yet.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I have heard a little of the new album and I am impressed with what I hear, very good vibes with a classic feel. I will be buying this album in the very near future and playing it loud, glad to see they are still making good tunes:)

TechnicalBarbarity

Reaction score
I've been stuck in the 70's for the past couple of weeks, dusted off all of my albums that i hadn't listened to in a while ..... Deep Purple has always been my favorite(after Black Sabbath). I haven't listened to anything after Perfect Strangers. Which of their newer albums are worth picking up?

Marbles

Reaction score
For anyone in the UK, there was a 30-minute tribute programme to Jon Lord, presented by Rick Wakeman and on BBC East Midlands in the regional spot at 23:25 on Sunday 14th (everywhere else got "Live At The Apollo"!).

It's available for the next week on iPlayer - "Jon Lord: It's All Music".

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online