Dead Milkmen

rtbuck

Reaction score
It was sometime in 1986 I was at the ripe old age of 24 & I was trying to convince myself I was still young so I tuned into the local college radio station in our area (WBFO) every so often to prove to myself I could still be young. One day while driving in my Dodge Omni 024 I had WBFO on & I hear a soft jazzy bassline. The next thing I hear is a couple teenage dudes talking over the ongoing bassline about going down to the shore to buy some Def Leppard T-shirts. These "Dudes" now began talking about a car... in fact they were talking about a..."Bitchin' Camaro!!!!". The next 55 seconds was total chaos & it was awesome!!! Yes, this was...
THE DEAD MILKMEN!(a band that is fun & not to be taken serious)

The Dead Milkmen is an American satirical punk rock band formed in 1983 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Their original lineup consisted of vocalist and keyboardist Rodney Linderman ("Rodney Anonymous"), guitarist and vocalist Joe Genaro ("Joe Jack Talcum"), bassist Dave Schulthise ("Dave Blood") and drummer Dean Sabatino ("Dean Clean").

The band distinguished themselves amid the local underground hardcore scene of the early 1980s through their jangly punk sound and sardonic humor delivered with thick Philadelphia accents. They attracted college radio attention with their 1985 debut album, Big Lizard in My Backyard, and the song "Bitchin' Camaro". Extensive touring and further releases helped the band quickly garner an underground following.

They enjoyed international success on the strength of "Punk Rock Girl", a single from their 1988 Beelzebubba album which entered into MTV rotation.[1] After an ill-fated stint with the major label Hollywood Records and four further albums, health problems and industry frustrations in the wake of their success led to the group's 1995 breakup. In total, they issued eight studio albums, one live record, and numerous peripheral releases before disbanding.

The group reunited in 2008, with Dan Stevens replacing the deceased Schulthise. In 2011, they released The King in Yellow, their first studio album in 16 years.

Studio albumsBig Lizard in My Backyard (1985)
Eat Your Paisley (1986)
Bucky Fellini (1987)
Beelzebubba (1988)
Metaphysical Graffiti (1990)
Soul Rotation (1992)
Not Richard, But Dick (1993)
Stoney's Extra Stout (Pig) (1995)
The King in Yellow (2011)
Live albumsChaos Rules — Live at the Trocadero (1994)
CompilationsNow We Are 10 (1993)
Death Rides a Pale Cow (The Ultimate Collection) (1997)
Cream of the Crop (1998)
Now We Are 20 (2003)
The Dead Milkmen Present: Philadelphia In Love DVD (2003)

Singles and EPs"The Thing that Only Eats Hippies" (1987)
Instant Club Hit EP (1987)
"Punk Rock Girl" (1988, 1989)
Smokin' Banana Peels EP (1988, 1989)
If I Had a Gun EP (1992)
"Dark Clouds Gather Over Middlemarch" (2012)
"Big Words Make the Baby Jesus Cry" (2012)
"The Great Boston Molasses Flood" (2013)
"Welcome to Undertown" (2013)
Self-released cassettesLiving Death in the Cellar of Sin (1983)
Funky Farm (1983)
A Date With The Dead Milkmen (1983)
Death Rides A Pale Cow (1984)
The Dead Milkmen Take The Airwaves (1984)
Someone Shot Sunshine (1984)

mrJim

Reaction score
Dead Milkmen announce a new release Pretty Music For Pretty Special People (Pre-Order)

Track List
Pretty Music For Pretty People
Make It Witchy
Mary Ann Cotton (The Poisoner's Song)
I've Got To Get My Numbers Up
Sanitary Times
Anthropology Days
The Sun Turns Our Patio Into A Lifeless Hell
All You Need Is Nothing
Hipster Beard

Contains 6 new tracks plus 3 of the "C" sides previously only available as MP3 digital downloads.

rtbuck

Reaction score
You know I will be getting this one! It's always kind of funny how back in the 80's I would buy albums because of a goofy band name or a bizarre album cover or funny song titles and here it is about 30 years later and these bands are still releasing albums....and I keep buying them! I love the Dead Milkmen!!!

mrJim

Reaction score
After "Not Richard, But Dick" It got kind of lean for the milkmen creatively. But there is nothing of theirs I will not have.

I am a loyal Dead Milkmen fan, and I have pre ordered my copy :)

Jim

P.S. "Not Richard, But Dick" is a rare find these days. so if you come across it pick it up

mrJim

Reaction score
Score a Win for "Pretty Music for Pretty Special People". the Milkmen's latest album.

rtbuck

Reaction score
I stopped at Record Theater tonight to buy the new Kiss Love Gun Deluxe 2 disc set and looked to see if they possibly had the new Dead Milkmen but no luck so I will be ordering it. Thanks to you I've been into the Dead Milkmen lately listening to everything I have. I thought the live album was pretty cool
And I get a kick out of the Blues Song from Stoney's Extra Stout

mrJim

Reaction score
Stoney's Extra Stout. Yeah!

"Nobody looks the same anymore, I think it has something to do with all that crap their putting in the water"

bwahahah I love these guys!

"The Blues Song" the first time you hear that one I bet you said what the heck is this

Jim

rtbuck

Reaction score
Stoney's Extra Stout. Yeah!

"Nobody looks the same anymore, I think it has something to do with all that crap their putting in the water"

bwahahah I love these guys!

"The Blues Song" the first time you hear that one I bet you said what the heck is this

Jim

Hahaaahaaa Peter Bazooka!

Yeah the Blues Song got me right away especially when he was going on singing "They call me 2 Shoes because I wear 2 Shoes!"

The Dead Milkmen are so much fun!

mrJim

Reaction score
some all time Dead Milkmen quotes:

'Jumpin Jesus on a pogo stick, everyone know the burrow owl lives in a hole in the ground"

Exchange ensues:
"Are you going to Checkout the Sandbar while your down there?"
"Whats the sandbar"
"Its a place that lets 16 year old kids Drink"
"Oh Cool!"
Exchange continues....

"It was during my second senior year when my mom found Jesus Christ"

I could go on and on. Do you know what songs they are from? the other 2 since one is so easy :)

rtbuck

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the last one but that's hilarious! Of course there's Bitchin' Camaro and the first one is from my favorite Dead Milkmen album Beelzebubba...Stuart!!

By the way Mr. Jim I just ordered the new Dead Milkmen from FYE (it was 20 percent off this weekend on all new & used cd's if you spend $30 or more(free shipping if you go over $35))...I was was going to hold off until next week because I just found out there was a record/CD show today which I did go and did pick up a few Stones imports but when I seen the 20 percent off code at FYE I couldn't resist so....I had to order the new Dead Milkmen and also got a Kevin K CD and a couple of used Stones cd's. This week I ended up getting the new Dead Milkmen, a Kevin K cd , 4 Stones cd's, the Kiss Love Gun Deluxe CD, and a live Chuck Berry CD w/ the Steve Miller band as his back up band sooooo....I guess my music buying reached its limit for this month!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online

No members online now.