Damien Rice !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Reaction score
damien-rice.jpg

(We already have a Damien Rice topic but it's from 2005... So.. instead of bumping it, I rewrote it!)

Damien rice is an Irish singer-songwriter. His songs are quite fragile and always made with a minimum of instruments. I don't know why I like him that much... I think I just like the way how he puts his feeling into his music...

His story is quite cool actually. He starts out in the band Juniper, maybe you know the song weatherman? Not that it is famous or anything, but it is the only song worth mentioning. So the band doesn't work out as planned and Damien Rice moves to Italy and thus also quits the band.
He decides to see a bit of europe and by singing and playing on the streets he works his way through life and Europe all the same.
After a year he finally decides to put his music on an album. He lends money from friends, produces a demo and sends it to producer David Arnold. David Arnold likes the music and bam! his first single "The Blowers Daughter" is a fact.
The song is used as soundtrack for the movie Closer (Jude Law, Natalie Portman, Julia Roberts, Clive Owen,... It's a good movie, imo) and in the meanwhile Damien is working on his first album titled O (the letter O, not zero).
He refuses to work with big labels because he thinks they will influence his music too much.
And now, several years later 3 albums: O B-sides and 9.
All good albums :) And I love them when I'm in the mood for some relaxing music...

Here's a few songs:

9 Crimes: been in the top I don't know what for ages. It is slow and a bit boring somethimes... But again: when in the mood it is a great song..
All the girls I know love this song, even the ones that listen to metal all the time..
:grinthumb

And then we have the other side of Damien: a bit more alive. Listen to the whole song or don't listen at all.
Rootless tree.

He also has some great covers... Creep (radiohead), Talking about a revolution (tracy chapman) and others
Also he worked with some of the better artists out there like Herbie Hancock (jazz) and Tori Amos (singer).

Enjoy :)

Oh and here is his first single for those who are interested:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I remember you being a big fan of his, I still have only dabbled with his music. I have to be in a laid back mood for this kind of stuff, no surprise there.;)

Still nice OP OB.:grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I'm just jealous that you always beat me at covering him in forums! :lmao: When I think of how to represent Damien it will always be this performance hands down! I never watch this without chills and it's the most haunting performance I've ever found on the internet!

I Remember

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
:bump:

OB! You have great taste but I'm having to resuscitate your dead threads because you are never here! :lmao: I love this guy! I'll contribute a second amazing performance for the thread! Seriously, this is the ONLY artist that I've actually gotten goosebumps multiple times through youtube!

Rootless Tree Live

Oblivion

Reaction score
I just love that song. Every recording I've heard so far has been great..

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Well... There's always a place for songs that make you wanna :wa:
I'm with LG.. I would have to totally slow down and listen to his music.. It's nice.. But i can't head bang to it and that's where I differ...:heheh:

Oblivion

Reaction score
:D Yeah, headbanging to damien rice would look silly...

Just one song more to add to the list:

Even though you can't headbang to it, I'm sure you'll appreciate the lyrics and the cello.

Oblivion

Reaction score
Soooo....

Damien rice has 2 studio albums called "9" and "o"
damien+rice.jpg
and
1240518253976_f.jpg

Who feels like a review ? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Latest posts