Crowded House

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
These guys needed a thread, so I'm making one :D I'll write a small history on them for those poor souls who are unaware of Crowded House

The story of New Zealand/Australian band Crowded House began in 1972, when Tim Finn formed the band Split Enz, which included his younger brother, Neil Finn. Split Enz had a heap of hits in the 70's and early 80's, including this one:

Two members of Split Enz - Neil Finn and drummer Paul Hester - went on to form a highly successful band, called Crowded House, with Nick Seymour, brother of Hunters and Collectors frontman Mark Seymour. Towards the middle of Crowded House's career, Tim Finn joined Crowded House as well. Another member, Mark Hart, less visible as a band member, was also involved with Supertramp during the 80's, and would later tour as part of Ringo Starr's All-Starr band.

This is a collection of some of their hits from their original run (1985-1996) where they made the albums "Crowded House", "Woodface", "Temple of Low Men" and "Together Alone":

After 1996, the band split up. Neil and Tim embarked on solo careers (Tim resuming a solo career from pre-Crowded House days), Seymour moved onto other projects, Hart went touring with Ringo Starr and Paul Hester created the character "Paul the Chef" for hit children's group, The Wiggles, before getting depression and hanging himself in 2005, aged 46.

In memory of Hester, Crowded House reunited (without Tim Finn and with Matt Sherrod on drums) in 2006, releasing the album "Time On Earth" featuring the hit "Don't Stop Now"

(live version of song for people who can't see music video above)

Crowded House are releasing a 6th studio album in 2010. Title and songlist are (as far as I know) yet to be disclosed.

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Well made thread Feldster! I love their big hit Don't Dream It's Over and I'll have to listen to the rest soon. Just to let you know that the last vid you posted can't be seen in my country! :D

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Have added a live video for those who can't see the music video of Don't Stop Now :D Tell me if it works.

Yeah, Don't Dream It's Over is good, but personally I prefer the second song I posted, called "Weather With You". They're a great band though. I always see them as a matured version of Split Enz, hence why I chose to mention the Enz at the start :D

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Have added a live video for those who can't see the music video of Don't Stop Now :D Tell me if it works.

Yeah, Don't Dream It's Over is good, but personally I prefer the second song I posted, called "Weather With You". They're a great band though. I always see them as a matured version of Split Enz, hence why I chose to mention the Enz at the start :D

That Weather With You song was pretty decent. Your live vid is working Feldster! :grinthumb

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Great thread Feldster, but it's missing a couple of things:

:D

I'm also a fan of their music, and I thought it'd be criminal not to post my two favourite songs!

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
^^ There's so many great songs, it's impossible to put all the awesome ones in one post :heheh:

So yeah, if people find other favourites, they can add them for sure, stir up discussion :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I remember this band now...took me a while but I have a Split Enz vinyl album so I know a little about the Finn's.

Give me the Best album to start with Feldy, not including compilations.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
For a first album, I would go with their self-titled debut album

Crowded_house_-_ch.jpg

This one has been described as a quintessential Aussie release, so it's in high stead with the critics and such, and it highlights some of their best work IMO.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Little bit of trivia on that album as well, on the track "Now We're Getting Somewhere", usual drummer Paul Hester was absent for reason which momentarily escape me, and Neil Finn recruited the help of soon-to-be Traveling Wilburys drummer Jim Keltner on the drums.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
:ty:

I'll put it on my list. I liked Split Enz too, True Colors is the name of the album I have, I bought it on Import before they became popular over here.:rock:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online